Failed ICND 2 for third time...I'm taking a break

seansabianseansabian Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I failed ICND 2 for the third time. My score was the lowest of all three attempts (scores in attempt order 706, 748, 650). I'm taking a break. Happy Holidays.
~ Sean

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's okay.

Don't take a break though because you'll start to forget things. Keep studying.
    I think it would be best to use the holidays to study really hard for this exam.

You can do it!
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass. One thing I would suggest is to try some different study materials. If you have 25 bucks to spare, Chris Bryant's information is decent. I'd also recommend Wendell Odom's books, even though they are somewhat dry--they have the information you need.

From looking at your scores, I am thinking that you need to really practice your subnetting. If your subnetting is a little weak, it impacts almost every other area, especially the routing section. Also from looking at your scores, I see you went from 0 to 100 to 50 on WAN links. From my recent experience, what that tells me is that there are very few questions about this on the exam. I wouldn't say it's not important, but I would say that I would focus more on the subnetting and routing than worrying about WAN links.

Anyway, just take a look at the resource you're using and change some things up--you'll get the pass. You are NOT that far off the mark, so it's definitely doable. The main thing is to not get discouraged. I remember how I felt after failing the 70-686, and that feeling of disappointment can be the biggest obstacle in getting back in the mindset to tackle it again.

In any case, Merry Christmas to you and yours--take a break from the books and come back energized for your next attempt. Good luck!
  • ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    As others have said, don't get discouraged by these few fails.

You're so close and you already have the ICND1 under your belt. Half of the struggle is over.

Just study real hard over xmas break, watch as many Youtube videos as you can on ICND2 related topics and practice subnetting. I'm sure you'll nail it next time and if not..just keep trying!
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keep ur head man!
  • Ola_CISCOOla_CISCO Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck on your next attempt!
  • crypticgeekcrypticgeek Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass. One thing I would suggest is to try some different study materials. If you have 25 bucks to spare, Chris Bryant's information is decent. I'd also recommend Wendell Odom's books, even though they are somewhat dry--they have the information you need.

I'll echo these sentiments. Nothing personal against Todd, but I found his book to be woefully inadequate in preparing for the exam. As Excellent1 said, Odom is somewhat dry but his books are very comprehensive.

There are a number of different subnetting techniques. The "shortcut" method in the Odom book is okay for learning about the process, but not ideal for rapid subnetting in my opinion. Here's a good technique to try: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html

subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online will give you random questions so you can gauge your speed. The subnetting game on Cisco's academy website is also very good for testing your speed.

Most of all, don't give up! You're close...and it can be disheartening to fail for the third time...but you've already invested this much time and effort, don't let it go to waste.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    +1 on do more subneting and more labs

Hang in there , keep studying , don't give up when you are almost there and make sure to get your ccna before me! ( I'll be going for icdn2 about march)

Don't forget the free INE streaming videos, only free for another week and half
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
    alxx wrote: »
    +1 on do more subneting and more labs

Hang in there , keep studying , don't give up when you are almost there and make sure to get your ccna before me! ( I'll be going for icdn2 about march)

Don't forget the free INE streaming videos, only free for another week and half

Exactly the INE videos have been great thus far.

Off topic....does anyone else realize he has been wearing the same sweater in every video? LOL. I'm sorry I know I'm supposed to be paying more attention to the videos but I get distracted easily..
  • seansabianseansabian Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the support! I used Bryant for ICND 1 and ICND2 first attempt. I have both the Odom and Lammle Books. I use the Lammle book more than Odom. I needed the Lammle book to understand some of the topics in the Odom book. BTW, I just ordered the 3rd edition of the Odom book. And I watched the INE videos for STP and VLAN. They helped me really understand those topics. So, I'm going to watch the INE videos, read the same chapters in Odom, and do more labbing. What about practice tests like Measure Up? I've used Measure Up. Is there any real benefit to using a Transcender, Boson, or Measure Up?

Thanks again. Break time is over. = )

Happy Holidays!
    ~ Sean
    There's the free Cisco version of the bosun tests in the back of the odom books
    if you register them with bosun they give you an extra 10% off their version.

What lab work books/ lab guides did you use ?
  • aashanaashan Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Where can I find these INE videos that everyone is refering to....
    aashan wrote: »
    Where can I find these INE videos that everyone is refering to....

CCNA Associate Course - 640-802

On the right side of the page it says,

"To receive access to the FREE streaming CCNA R&S Exam Course,
    you will need to register
    and become a member."

Click right below this message and register then sign in and you will have access to the videos until January 1st.
  • boy32delboy32del Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    [IMG]C:\Users\217216x712914\Desktop[/IMG]
  • seansabianseansabian Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    alxx wrote: »
    There's the free Cisco version of the bosun tests in the back of the odom books
    if you register them with bosun they give you an extra 10% off their version.

What lab work books/ lab guides did you use ?

Alxx, I used the Lammle CCNA Simulations from the CD. They require you to set up configs from memory. I learned a lot. What do you suggest other than the Boson in the Odom books? When Odom's 3rd edition book arrives I will start working with the Boson Labs.
    ~ Sean
  • TakuahTakuah Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't give up man! Gotta use that failure as motivation and push through it!
    I'm using the same resources as you - Odom book, Lammle book, cbt nuggets, Chris Byant material, INE vids, bosum exam sim and all the lab guides/ workbooks I can get my hands on.

On holiday up at my parents place so have as much as I can fit on my ipad and gsn3 on parents pc as
    no space for books riding up on motorbike.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Hey, please don't give up.

I've been struggling to get my CCNA for over 2 years and I had some difficulties and haven't given up.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    seansabian wrote: »
    Hello all,

I failed ICND 2 for the third time. My score was the lowest of all three attempts (scores in attempt order 706, 748, 650). I'm taking a break. Happy Holidays.

Seansabian -- if you need help with ICND2 send me a PM with your contact info. I'll help you out to get your ICND2!!
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE