Options

Reviewing the concepts of CCNA

zimskizzimskiz Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
For the final exam for CCNA do i need to know every frame that apear in course? (ex : http://bitmindframes.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/vtpframe.png OR http://routemyworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/ospf-packet-header.jpg etc.)
This can help me in a real enviroment or in a job, or for debug?...or it is something nice to know? (a no valueable information?)

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Overkill for the CCNA exam. I don't think you need to know what's in the VTP headers at all, but you do need to know what happen if Switch A and Switch B are connected to each other using trunking (applicable to 802.1Q and ISL trunking encapsulation). Let's say Switch A has a few VLANs added to its database and has VTP domain name configured without a password before the trunking was establish. Switch B has no VTP configuration and is in its default setting. You need to know what will happen to Switch B after trunking. This is why it's very important to lab with debugging commands and refresh the "show" command to see what's changed.

You also need to know how VLAN tagging works with 802.1Q, especially when not using the native VLAN. Taking a look at an STP frame wouldn't hurt too to help you understand further in depth with your CCNA exam. While you're onto it, try to stay in the scope of the objectives or you could forget some important information.
  • Options
    zimskizzimskiz Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Overkill for the CCNA exam. I don't think you need to know what's in the VTP headers at all, but you do need to know what happen if Switch A and Switch B are connected to each other using trunking (applicable to 802.1Q and ISL trunking encapsulation). Let's say Switch A has a few VLANs added to its database and has VTP domain name configured without a password before the trunking was establish. Switch B has no VTP configuration and is in its default setting. You need to know what will happen to Switch B after trunking. This is why it's very important to lab with debugging commands and refresh the "show" command to see what's changed.

You also need to know how VLAN tagging works with 802.1Q, especially when not using the native VLAN. Taking a look at an STP frame wouldn't hurt too to help you understand further in depth with your CCNA exam. While you're onto it, try to stay in the scope of the objectives or you could forget some important information.

I deeply understand what you wrote, but that wasn't my concern. The idea was if i should treat those subjects ? It's any reason for which i should memorize those headers (not only on VTP; i think in every chapter you can find at least 5-10 images with headers)
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I don't remember memorizing any of the headers for CCNA. Even for CCNP, I remember looking at the pictures that you are referring to, but I don't think I ever committed them to memory.