Network+ Self Study

otakuotaku Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all long time reader first time poster. I have been in the IT field for about 4 years now. I currently am a desktop tech and recently passed my A+. My question is can a self study be done for the Network+, I signed up for a class at the local college and they cancelled it with no warning. I was told about CBT Nuggets ( has this helped anyone?) I am familiar with the OSI model and network topology. do employers lean more towards hands on or the cert over the hands on?. Can you self study for this exam or will it be beneficial to me to attend a class. if there is another thread that asked the same question accept my apologies and can you point me in that direction

thanks

Comments

• swildswild Member Posts: 828
    If you have 4 years of IT experience, all you need is Mike Meyers's Network+ All In One. I wish he had higher level books, because I loved reading both his A+ and Net+. I self studied and passed on the first try using just his book. Google is great for anything you need clarification on. Employers like experience. Period. However, certification CAN show that you know what you are doing. Passing the test isn't enough. You will need to be able to answer questions about the technology.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I passed it with self study using labsim/testout almost exclusively (with pretty much zero networking knowledge to start with) and only missed 1 or 2 questions. If I had used Mike Meyers book it may have been even easier.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • otakuotaku Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for your great insight I will do the self study route I will go to B&N to purchase Mike Meyer's book.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MM's book is quality. I'm sure you will do just fine. Good luck!
  • showboshowbo Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    swild wrote: »
    If you have 4 years of IT experience, all you need is Mike Meyers's Network+ All In One. I wish he had higher level books, because I loved reading both his A+ and Net+. I self studied and passed on the first try using just his book. Google is great for anything you need clarification on. Employers like experience. Period. However, certification CAN show that you know what you are doing. Passing the test isn't enough. You will need to be able to answer questions about the technology.

+1 to Mike Meyer's All in one.

That is all I used and passed :). You will do just fine with your experience.
  • charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am writing the network+ exam next monday. Jan 2nd, 2012. Doing the N10-004 version. I am using the Mike Meyers All in One Book, Mike Harwood Exam Cram, as well as Professor Messer Videos.
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've used CBT Nuggets and most of the time they're excellent. I would recommend buying them rather than pirating them because you get the most recent updates & you get free test exams now. Worth the 300 bucks (on average).

I'm just preparing to write the Network+ exam. I have the CBT Nuggets and they seem quite thorough and in-depth. They give you a well rounded understanding of networking & the "teacher" is easy to listen too & not boring.