Easiest Cert to start with (Microsoft)

jgkeys1995jgkeys1995 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
HI everyone so I have a quick question I want to take a microsoft certified exam and had a question.
Im home schooled so im told that I cant take the associate exam unless my school has it in there program (which is obvious they don't) so the next step would be take a it exam which i have no problem doing i studied some materials for the 70-680 but i would like a honest opinion what would be the easiest exam to start with then work my way up.
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Comments

• marhomarho Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

I don't know difficult differencies between exams, but by my opinion, if you use Windows 7 as your main OS the easiest exam is 70-680 , because many thinks you know right now. In my shool is 70-680 as first Microsoft cert too.

Martin
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    marho wrote: »
    Hello,

I don't know difficult differencies between exams, but by my opinion, if you use Windows 7 as your main OS the easiest exam is 70-680 , because many thinks you know right now. In my shool is 70-680 as first Microsoft cert too.

Martin

Ummmm.....

While I did pass the 70-680 on my first attempt, I wouldn't say this is the easiest exam MS has to offer. You're not tested on how a regular user would use Windows 7. WDS, Deployment, images, is a big part of this exam. Also too certain command lines and switches have to be mastered too. This is not an exam you want to take lightly.

I would suggest going to Microsoft's certification site and going through which certs interest you. THEN, I would suggest picking up a regular book and reading that and going through those labs. For example, if you want Windows Server 2008 R2 certs, then pick up Mastering Windows Server 2008 R2 AND/(OR) Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed. Both are very good books that will not only help you prepare for the exams, but will give you a solid foundation for real world application of that knowledge.

Trust me...difficulty is all relative but Microsoft exams are not to be taken lightly. (Even and especially the client exams....man I know the 70-270 for Windows XP was no joke from reading about the folks who took that exam. These were IT pros who have been in the field for years, too...but the truth is there is the real world way, and there's Microsoft way....you are tested on the latter.)
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ERPAdmin hit the nail on the head. I managed to pass 70-680 on the first try, but that was after a good 35-45 hours of intensive study. I failed 70-270 (XP) three times. I passed 70-290 (Server 2003 AD/general) and 70-291 (Server 2003 network) on the first try, and my upgrade (70-648 - the 2008 equivalent) on the first try. I probably studied more for XP and 7 than all the others combined. Microsoft client exams are not easy, and your everyday use of them is barely relevant.

If you are interested in pursuing an MCITP: Server Administrator certification, the most logical path in my opinion is as follows:
    70-640 > 70-642 > 70-680 > 70-646
    For Enterprise Administrator, it would be:
    70-640 > 70-642 > 70-680 > 70-643 > 70-647

Keep in mind, MCITP:EA is not for entry-level professionals or students with no experience. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it doesn't make sense to do. Those first couple of MCTS exams coupled with Net+ or A+ are a much more logical starting point.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    the truth is there is the real world way, and there's Microsoft way....you are tested on the latter.)
    This. icon_lol.gif
    70-680 is notoriously difficult. If you plant to take it first, I would definitely build some sort of a lab and go through the motions of everything you read that isn't already routine for you.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just found out Microsoft has an entry level certification level called Microsoft Technical Associate. I've already signed up for the 98-365 server exam. Will let you know how it goes. I do plan on getting a MCITP in server this spring though.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jdancer wrote: »
    Just found out Microsoft has an entry level certification level called Microsoft Technical Associate. I've already signed up for the 98-365 server exam. Will let you know how it goes. I do plan on getting a MCITP in server this spring though.
    The MTA certifications are not worth the space they take on a resume. They are not intended to be used as professional certifications.

Microsoft Technology Associate Certification l MTA Exams l Entry-Level Developer Exams
    The Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) certification helps schools teach and validate fundamental technology knowledge, provides students with a foundation for their careers, and helps them gain the confidence they need to succeed in advanced studies. Help your institution stand out with an innovative technology curriculum while offering students an opportunity to earn a Microsoft Certification right in the classroom.
    Are you a student who wants to earn an MTA certification? Refer to the exam preparation guides for Learning Plans and other valuable resources to help you prepare for a successful MTA exam.
    MTA exams are only available at academic institutions that have purchased an MTA Campus License or MTA vouchers. Contact your school administrator to find out if your school is an approved MTA testing center.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Passed the 98-365 exam. Used CBT Nuggets and the MOAC book for studying. Even got my MCP designation.

I do plan on getting a MCITP but need to finish up my CCNA first.
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So if I'm reading that right, you can't even take the MTA exam unless you do it through your school?
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Vista (620 exam) is the easiest one I've taken. It's dated, though, but if you want to get your feet wet on Microsoft exams, it would be an option for you.