Passed Server+

joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
Study Materials Included:

CompTIA's official Server+ 2009 book CompTIA Server+ Certification, 2009 Edition +, Student Manual - CompTIA Authorized
Transcender's CompTIA Server+ 2009 Product Transcender CompTIA SK0-003 Exam | Server+ Certification Training Products
CertBlaster for Server+ 2009 CertBlaster Downloads

CertBlaster COMES WITH the CompTIA official study guide; there is the info for accessing the software within the book. The CompTIA book is alright in terms of content, but the book itself, physically, is really sh!tty for costing $70. It's just basically a ream of paper bound together by a spiral. Here are some pics of the actual book:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7854/img0326c.jpg
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1342/img0327wo.jpg

Anyway, as far as the exam goes it was kinda rough. Many of the questions were ambiguous and worded poorly (in my opinion).

There were a LOT of RAID questions. You should really know RAID well. Know more than just the definitions...you should be able to identify which RAID solution to go with, given X-circumstances and having N-number of drives available. I think I had questions revolving around EVERY level of RAID that is specified in the objectives.

It would be a good idea to memorize the SCSI table. I memorized the name/pins/bandwidth/bits/lengths from this table: SCSI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There were also a lot of questions about redundancy; hot site, cold site, warm site etc. A few question about tapes (which has higher storage capacity, this or that)

There were a few questions about SMP (Symmetric Multiprocessing) as well.

Obviously, know your common port #s too, there were a few of those.

Study time was a little over 15 days. I read the CompTIA book and pounded transcender (All of the questions and half the flash cards). Unfortunately, I forgot that I could use CertBlaster until the morning of the exam. Lol oops icon_rolleyes.gif

Final Score: 823

Good luck to those who wish to take it!
WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)

Comments

• universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    congrats...

all i used was the kindle book by Lao on amazon. cost was 9 bucks.... icon_lol.gif
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    Thanks!
    congrats...

all i used was the kindle book by Lao on amazon. cost was 9 bucks.... icon_lol.gif
    Do I need a kindle to read it? I didn't buy the book, my department did :D
    no, i used the kindle for PC app..
    Oh interesting. I have never used kindle anything so I wouldn't know. Thanks :)
  • charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is their an exam cram for Server+. I mean one for SK0-003. I found one for SKO-002, and most sources I found online has either 2001 or 2005 version. In btw, I manage to buy this book to study as well. At first when I open up my package, I was like wtf, I want a refund. But realize you got the exact same book as I do. It looked like someone just photocopy from a textbook and put it in a ring binder.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There were a LOT of RAID questions. You should really know RAID well. Know more than just the definitions...you should be able to identify which RAID solution to go with, given X-circumstances and having N-number of drives available. I think I had questions revolving around EVERY level of RAID that is specified in the objectives.
    This alone gives Server+ value. You'd be surprised how many MCSE-level engineers I've worked and work with who can't tie RAID levels to solutions.
    It would be a good idea to memorize the SCSI table. I memorized the name/pins/bandwidth/bits/lengths from this table: SCSI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This is the more worthless part of Server+. If you're in the type of job where you really have to have this memorized, you probably have and need a vendor cert.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. I have been considering having some of my low and mid-level field engineers pursue Server+, and this helps me determine who should take it and who shouldn't.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ptilsen wrote: »
    This is the more worthless part of Server+. If you're in the type of job where you really have to have this memorized, you probably have and need a vendor cert.

Many moons ago, one had to memorize IRQs and COM ports for the A+ (and manually configure them). I was doing that before 1999 (when A+ first came out I believe) and never thought it was a big deal.

Alot of those RAID questions seem to be related to Storage+. I had gotten hit with a lot of those type of questions taking the Storage+ beta. I only missed the passing score by 4 points, too. I'm really hoping there's a beta for Server+ because I'd be interested in taking it. I'm definitely going to take Storage+ again and pass it after I rebone up on the non standard RAID (RAID 3, 6, etc., etc.]

Josh, congratulations, btw! Well done and rep for the pass! :)
    charlesc09 wrote: »
    Is their an exam cram for Server+

I don't think so.. The CompTIA book is the only real one I could find (not counting the Kindle version..)
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Josh, congratulations, btw! Well done and rep for the pass! :)
    Thanks! Much appreciated! I'm going to take the 70-680 on Tuesday the third, but don't tell anyone. I don't want to bring home a fail :)
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Many moons ago, one had to memorize IRQs and COM ports for the A+ (and manually configure them). I was doing that before 1999 (when A+ first came out I believe) and never thought it was a big deal.
    Me too, and I didn't think it was that bad, either. It's also a skill I haven't used since the late 90s and it really made me feel not great about the A+ at the time. I think it's important for a certification to test relevant, practical information. Configuring IRQs wasn't practical information in the mid-2000s, and knowing every detail of every single variation of SCSI interface isn't practical information in the early 2010s.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Me too, and I didn't think it was that bad, either. It's also a skill I haven't used since the late 90s and it really made me feel not great about the A+ at the time. I think it's important for a certification to test relevant, practical information. Configuring IRQs wasn't practical information in the mid-2000s, and knowing every detail of every single variation of SCSI interface isn't practical information in the early 2010s.

I don't necessarily disagree with you...I'm just saying it's probably not a big deal. I don't think that that the SCSI pins are going to make or break a person taking Server+ that much, anymore than IRQs and COM ports did for early A+ guys like us.

BTW, I remember hating Plug and Pray when it came out....I felt it was going to make me less relevant as a techie. I'm really glad I was wrong. :)
  • charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't think so.. The CompTIA book is the only real one I could find (not counting the Kindle version..)

Is that CompTIA book good enough for the latest version of server+ exam. I have about 1 and half years of desktop support experience. Got my A+ in October, and will do Network+ right after new years. So technically as of right now, I have the knowledge in both A+ and Network+. The reason why I wanted to do this cert, is because I felt like half the topics are closely related to A+, and some dealing with Network+. The fact it doesn't have an expiry attracted me to do this first before security.

I know I prob need to still get some practice questions to do, but was wondering if this student book alone is good enough for a source.

And I also builded 2 servers before at work with another colleague, but never manually configured one before.
  • avadminavadmin Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Big congrats to the OP for the pass, score and tips. CompTIA Server+ has been on my 'to-take' list for a long time and this thread just peaked my interest again. Again thanks! My preferred method of learning, which consequencely has never failed me, is one night of CBT Nuggets --> Official Course Book --> Hands-on at home --> Skipping through CBT Nuggets for a second round. Oh, and any techexam notes posted to read in the car sitting outside the exam center. Some people like their books mint, I prefer to use a highlighter for key terms and definitions. :)
    charlesc09 wrote: »
    Is that CompTIA book good enough for the latest version of server+ exam?

Yes, it's the for the latest version of the test. I would supplement the book with something (it comes with uCertify, so just study the book well and use that)
    avadmin wrote: »
    Big congrats to the OP for the pass, score and tips...
    Thanks so much! That sounds like a good method, good luck when you take it, you will crush it with that study plan I'm sure :)
    congrats...

Out of curiousity, I wanted to check this book out. It appears that if one's a Prime subscriber (and I am... :) ), you can check this book out for free! I had to borrow this book from my Kindle device.

This is the first time I have ever borrowed a book from Kindle, so I'll make the best of it now by checking this book out. I can keep the book for as long as I want, and when(ever) I'm done with Server+, I'll return the book back. :)

When I'm finally done with my 70-643 studies, I will start reading this book. I always suspected I would take this exam at some point, which is why I never ruled it out. (I will admit though that I never saw a need for this certification, but I figure why not now. I was hoping to take a free beta exam...)

+1 for you (I already repped you for something else it seems... [BTW, the author's name is Lau, not Lao.] :)

http://www.amazon.com/Concise-Server-Study-SK0-003-ebook/dp/B0051OS0Q6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top#_
    check one of my threads on this book. a few typos in the questions, but overall well worth the 9 bucks.... i took a quick week to study for it and got a cheap voucher off ebay