self study training methods?

craigaaroncraigaaron Member Posts: 132
Hi all,

I was wondering what self study training methods you use to teach your self?

so far I am reading a chapter and then follow it by a video from CBT nugguts in between I make notes, then depending on the topic i would try and lab it
Currently Studying: CCNP Security
300-206 - Completed 04-Jul-2014
300-209 - Completed 09-May-2017
300-208 - TBC
300-210 - TBC

Comments

• SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I have studied for exams two opposite ways.
    1) I have read through one entire book and then another entire book, then done all videos and, finally, labs.
    2) I have also picked a topic (such as OSPF or IPv6) and studied through all the materials (books, videos and labs) for the topic, then switched to another topic.

Even though it would seem like a better plan to do #2, that hasn't been the case for me.
    For whatever reason, #1 seems to work better and faster. Maybe it's learning a topic, and then getting away from it for awhile and then learning it again from a different source. I read once that people retain more about a topic each time they forget it and relearn it.

Either way, I always save practice questions for the end. That way, I get accurate scores rather than getting questions right because I have had them before.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    read , take notes , watch and take notes then summerise the notes then write flash cards
    then lab lab lab
    rinse and repeat

Thats what I try to do. Always seem to take to many notes

Using a flashcard program with spaced repition helps me a lot.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    1 ) watch CBT nuggets

2) take notes at the same time

3) then (really then) read Todd Lammle CCNA book ( do not miss any details)

4) if you have a real lab, that would be perfect; if not packet tracer or GNS3 is a great solution too

5) ready to go for the exam...
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out Free CCNA Workbook » Lab Workbook for some practical hands on with GNS3.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
    The way I go about it is basically use Safari books online and evernote to read about a particular topic, followed by RFC or research within Routing TCP/IP vol 1 and vol 2. This is followed by INE CBT's (great resource) and labs, Finally CBT nuggets to ensure that I have understood the core concepts well.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown