Opinion needed for Security+ and Server+

charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
Right now, I am close to getting Network+. I am going to write it tomorrow. Hopefully I can pass. After that, I want to pursue both Server and Security. I passed A+ in Oct 2011. I have around a year and a half desktop/support working experience.

I want to know which one would be easier to pursue first?

I don't really have any prior experience in server or security. I have built 2 servers before with another colleague. Never configured one before though. I have however build desktop PC's before.

what I do have currently I guess is updated knowledge in both A+ and Network+. icon_cool.gif
icon_study.gif

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Server+ is probably easier to follow A+ with, while Security+ is easier to follow Net+ with. Both Server+ and Security+ have some overlap with Net+. Both should be very attainable, considering you will already have A+ and Net+. I do think Server+ is the more logical next step, but I can't say that one will be easier than the other.

However, you might want to consider starting in one of the MCITP tracks as that is going to be more relevant to your job and get your career moving forward more quickly. I won't knock the Comptia certs because I think all four in question have value, but having those four doesn't really qualify you to do anything in particular or enable you to get a better job on their own. They are all considered entry-level certifications.

So if you want to move into server/systems administration/engineering, you probably want to pursue MCITP: SA (or RHCSA, if that's your thing) first, then round it out with Server+ and/or Security+. If you want to show a higher skill level with what you do now, get into the MCITP: DST or even MCITP: DA tracks. You can still circle back and get both Security+ and Server+ or either, and they will actually probably be a bit easier and more relevant to you having gone through the MS tracks.

I'm not saying you have to do it that way, but that's my opinion on the matter. Server+ and Security+ can both be taken in short order with self-study, so it really won't matter much if you go take both now.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks. The reason why I wanted to get them, is because I figure I could self-study maybe 1-3 months max and get it. With certs like Cisco and Microsoft, I may need to acquire alot more time. Not to say I won't eventually do them. Short term wise, I want to add stuff quickly to my resume, considering the lack of work experience I have.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Good luck on the Network+. I'll look for your post in the Network+ forum saying you passed .

I never took the Server+ so I can't compare the difficulty level against the Security+. However, I know that after you pass the Network+, the Security+ is definitely achieveable in the 1 to 3 months timeline you mention. Additionally, based on what I see, the Security+ certification is valued more by employers than the Server+. I see Security+ often listed as a requirement for jobs but don't recall ever seeing Server+ listed as a job requirement.

You may like to post a question in the Server+ forum (SERVER+ Forums) asking people about the value and difficulty they see in the Server+ certification.

Good luck,

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+/Network+ Daily Tips
    Darril wrote: »
    Good luck on the Network+. I'll look for your post in the Network+ forum saying you passed .

I never took the Server+ so I can't compare the difficulty level against the Security+. However, I know that after you pass the Network+, the Security+ is definitely achieveable in the 1 to 3 months timeline you mention. Additionally, based on what I see, the Security+ certification is valued more by employers than the Server+. I see Security+ often listed as a requirement for jobs but don't recall ever seeing Server+ listed as a job requirement.

You may like to post a question in the Server+ forum (SERVER+ Forums) asking people about the value and difficulty they see in the Server+ certification.

Good luck,

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+/Network+ Daily Tips

good idea, thanks for the suggestion.
    Anyways, I think now that I have a chance to look at both sides. I think I will do security first. Simply because the source is just so much better. While waiting for Gibson book to arrive, I'll use professor messer videos to start off.

With Server, I only have one source, and that's it.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    I haven't take the Security + yet (soon though), but I would have to say the Server +, as from what I have heard from multiple people, a decently logic path is Network +, Server +, and then use the knowledge gain from both to pass the Security + (of course with Darril's books and additional studying).

Good luck!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
    I haven't take the Security + yet (soon though), but I would have to say the Server +, as from what I have heard from multiple people, a decently logic path is Network +, Server +, and then use the knowledge gain from both to pass the Security + (of course with Darril's books and additional studying).

Good luck!

I am actually kinda of multi-tasking right now. The Gibson books is still on the way. I can't order it from amazon.ca, so had to order from amazon.com It's shipping from the US to Canada, so it takes longer. Usually I get them within a day if I order from amazon.ca

I'm reading the only source that I have right now for server (spiral book), and watching security videos online. I find that this way its effective, because I don't have to glare at the screen all the time. So, essentially I am doing both at the same time right now, but different method.

In my opinion:

Server+ has alot of overlap with A+
    Security+ has alot of overlap with Network+

And I think there's also a bunch of networking on the Server+, but haven't read up to that point yet.

So, its perfect that I am doing both at the same time.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Listen, bottom line, once you the book gets to you and you start reading it, you will find that it's the only thing you'll need to pass the exam. Just read the chapters, perform the chapter exams and if you get 80 percent more more from the exams, move on to the next chapter. (Definitely go over briefly what you got wrong though.) The book makes the material a breeze, whether you are new to IT, or are a seasoned veteran.

Believe me, Darril doesn't pay me to hype the book...it seriously is the best certification material I have ever read. You really won't be disappointed; just read and study the book once, and then for the FINAL book exam, take it as if you were sitting for the exam. If you get 90% or more on that final, you are ready for the real exam. Then you can get back to Server+.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    In my opinion don't get the server+ it is not worth the money in any way. I took it cause it was the free beta version and all i had to do was study up on raid and passed with the knowledge I already had. Like Darril said there isn't a job listing out there that I have seen that asks for server+ however the Sec+ is worth it as there are many job postings for sec+ people and it also gives you useful knowledge. You pretty much know everything else from your a+ for the hardware side of things. When I took the a+ it talked about ecc ram, fb dimms, and raid which is pretty much the server+. It's just not worth the $230+ to take it as there is no ROI. GO with the Sec+ and get Darril's book.
    yup I am most likely leaning towards getting security first. But at the same time since my books have not arrive yet, i am reading the only server+ book source I have, and finding it a pretty good read.