charging ahead.

work has me sitting one more juniper exam (jncia-ssl) which i hope to have out of the way in the next few weeks. after that i decided its full steam ahead towards the ccnp: security with SECURE up first. i used some of the ccie level books when battling the ccnp and was wondering if there are ccie security books out there that would be a good second reference for any of the exams?
WIP: IPS exam

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    and when i say books i mean besides:
    - Cisco ASA: All-in-One Firewall, IPS, Anti-X, and VPN Adaptive Security Appliance
    - Network Security Technologies Solutions (CCIE Professional Development Series)
    this is exactly the types of books i was looking for. awesome. thanks!
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When do you plan on going through the CCNP:S track? It would be nice to get some people around here going towards this cert.
    i am taking this last juniper exam in the next week or so. i've already started going through the books and cbt nuggets for SECURE.
    I really considered buying those (CBTs). Hopefully I can make due without them....
    i always need second, third, fourth etc... sources to keep my mind from wandering during studies. i wish i could stay focused with just a few.
    I've got the SNRS nuggets. Hopefully it should be enough.
    with the JNCIA-SSL exam out of the way for work it's full on towards SECURE.
    Congrats. You are really kicking my arse. Any date set for SECURE?
    Congrats. You are really kicking my arse. Any date set for SECURE?
    no date in mind yet i am about halfway through IPexpert's videos for this course and a lot of it is a rehash of the ccna: security with more depth so i'm feeling a lot more confident about it.
    the local testing center (a technical school) is on winter break but i'm looking to sit this exam next week or the week after if possible. spending the rest of the week labbing and reviewing some of the topics i have never touched (IOS IPS specifically).
  • Maced129Maced129 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    good luck on the exam! I'll be working on FIREWALL pretty soon.
    the local testing center (a technical school) is on winter break but i'm looking to sit this exam next week or the week after if possible. spending the rest of the week labbing and reviewing some of the topics i have never touched (IOS IPS specifically).

Good luck. Bring home a win. Did you do any 802.1x labs? I am thinking of taking this exam on the 14th.
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    I am going to sit this cert next. I am probably around 98% ready for the FW test. I think my route is FW->VPN->SECURE->IPS. After I knock those out I will probably sit the CCNA:S just to make it official.
    Good luck. Bring home a win. Did you do any 802.1x labs? I am thinking of taking this exam on the 14th.

sure did, no real 802.1x experience here but the theory and configuration is pretty straight forward so i don't think it'll be an issue.
    I am going to sit this cert next. I am probably around 98% ready for the FW test. I think my route is FW->VPN->SECURE->IPS. After I knock those out I will probably sit the CCNA:S just to make it official.
    ha i have a feeling that everyone will pass on the IPS test till last.
    *hopefully* i'll be able to book this test for today (01/04/2012). we have access to a private pearson vue center through work and i won't be able to call until i get off work and get some sleep. been labbing all evening and doing last minute review and feeling good about my progress.
    and SECURE is now finished! scored 928/1000. this exam was pretty cut and dry and didn't have nearly the depth the cert guide had me believe. looking forward to jumping into the FIREWALL exam.
  • jaayw1jaayw1 Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Maced129Maced129 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats!! icon_cool.gif

I know you said you used IPexpert's VODs and CBT Nuggets....what did you use for labs?
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nice job. Glad you where able to book it same day and pass.
    Maced129 wrote: »
    congrats!! icon_cool.gif

I know you said you used IPexpert's VODs and CBT Nuggets....what did you use for labs?

used a combination of 3550 switches i have at home, gns3 and some time at the packetlife lab.
    jaayw1 wrote: »
    Congrats.....
    thanks.....
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    and SECURE is now finished! scored 928/1000. this exam was pretty cut and dry and didn't have nearly the depth the cert guide had me believe. looking forward to jumping into the FIREWALL exam.

Nice work man, hell of a score.
    Nice work man, hell of a score.

thanks! that's the benefit of working 12 hour night shifts at a data center.
    i rolled right into FIREWALL studies after passing SECURE earlier this month. this test is a little harder to judge my confidence level in the material as it all is very familiar in regards to past studying and hands on at work. i think another couple of weeks and i should be getting close to sitting the exam especially if i get in 3 days of good study at work this weekend.
    great discovery i found thanks to cbt nuggets is using the asdm demo modes (if you have access to the software) to practice the gui configuration of the FIREWALL topics.
    long weekend of study ahead as i'm on shift all three days. definitely considering sitting this exam next monday or tuesday depending on how much i can get accomplished this weekend. just need to play around in the asdm to make sure i know where everything is quickly and i should be ready.
    as long as the testing center is able to take me it looks like i'm going to give FIREWALL a go tomorrow afternoon. final brush up on topics this evening at work and playing around with ASDM demo mode to get ready.

here goes nothing.