Should you list certifications you have practically forgetten?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I have a few examples of this.

1. Server +. I read the book in 2 weeks and then crammed for another 2 weeks and barely passed with a 700+ something. I'll be completely honest now I barely remember anything from the material.
2. Security +. I read Darryl's book in about 3-4 weeks then studied for ~1 week and then took the test. I never reread any of the material and a lot of what I learned has faded.
3. ISO 27002 Security and MOF Same with this one. Crammed really hard and then took the test and passed the exam.

Thoughts?

Is it ethical to leave them off since I (you) whoever finds it difficult to remember the information. At least with Security + it's a CE cert so it will expire eventually.

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Nothing wrong with leaving off some certs from your resume. If I send my resume to a potentional employer I'd usually tailor it for the job description. The last network engineer position I put in for I left off all my CompTIA and RIM certifications.

The question to ask yourself is, how quickly could you review that Server+ and Security+ information and pick back up on it again? You might remember more then you then you think once you review some of the material again.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's definitely not unethical to leave an accomplishment off your resume. If anything, it's too ethical to not put it on. Server+ and Security+ are both considered entry level, and it's understandable that you'd forget the material. That said, I bet you remember more than you realize.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you earned it, you can list it.

It's like telling people you're not a college graduate because you fell asleep during a philosophy professor's lecture on the Fountainhead or Walden. But wait, that degree hanging on your wall says otherwise. :)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    If you earned it, you can list it.

It's like telling people you're not a college graduate because you fell asleep during a philosophy professor's lecture on the Fountainhead or Walden. But wait, that degree hanging on your wall says otherwise. :)

O gawd don't remind me. Henry David Thoreau & Ralph Waldo Emerson. sleeping.gif
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't list any cert on a resume I wasn't prepared to rigorously defend in an interview. I don't see how it would be unethical in any way. Sounds like you're being more ethical if anything.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you feel that a more accurate picture is conveyed by omitting a certification from your resume, then by all means, do it. I almost never bring up my old CCNA unless I think that general networking knowledge is relevant, since I don't work directly with routing and switching.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I wouldn't list any cert on a resume I wasn't prepared to rigorously defend in an interview. I don't see how it would be unethical in any way. Sounds like you're being more ethical if anything.

I have to agree with this. If someone sees you are certified in something they are likely to ask questions on the subject. If you don't feel comfortable discussing it in any kind of technical depth then I'd just leave it off. Nothing unethical about it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ah, just leave them on until you have outgrown them. I don't show any of my printer certs anymore because I no longer do site support and listing them may detract from my resume.

And I don't remember much about IPSec or clustering but there's no way I'm dropping my MCSE.
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    i don't list my old certs normally, but it one job were to ask for a seasoned person then I might add the old certs to show I have more than 5 years of currents certs (win nt is not a big one nowadays in the industry).
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    i don't list my old certs normally, but it one job were to ask for a seasoned person then I might add the old certs to show I have more than 5 years of currents certs (win nt is not a big one nowadays in the industry).

Agreed --- not like I would need to list my A+ for a job that requires a good amount of specific software troubleshooting, but it does show history.
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    I think I'd put all my certs on unless I had a compelling reason not to. Per previous posters it shows your time in the industry and also clearly shows in most cases a constant degree of learning which is required in the industry. Almost every IT job posting I've seen ask for something to the effect of willing to write certifications or on the job study required......

I was even asked in a job interview once why I had a 2 year gap in obtaining any certifications. I had to explain it coincided with a new job where I had a ton to learn hands on and no time for certs.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tha_dub wrote: »
    I think I'd put all my certs on unless I had a compelling reason not to. Per previous posters it shows your time in the industry and also clearly shows in most cases a constant degree of learning which is required in the industry. Almost every IT job posting I've seen ask for something to the effect of willing to write certifications or on the job study required......

I was even asked in a job interview once why I had a 2 year gap in obtaining any certifications. I had to explain it coincided with a new job where I had a ton to learn hands on and no time for certs.

+1:

that's precisely why I still list my A+ and Network+ certs...just to show someone who cares more about certs that I did start out with something. Of course, I have a five year gap between Network+ and Security+, but within those five years, I was too busy learning/maintaining PeopleSoft. Every cert I got after Network+ was pretty much because of/for WGU.

None of us are going to an interview expecting to be retested on the certs we got. I would have no problem explaining any topic covered by the certs I've earned. If you earned a cert...even if you earned it two decades ago, you should be able to give SOMETHING back about the cert that's in your posession.

However, I see value in not listing a cert that others have brought up. I would do that (personally) for any Cisco certs (CCNA, etc.) Some certs I'd want, like a CCNA, just to prove to myself (only myself and maybe you guys) that I can do it. But I wouldn't need a CCNA (personally) to get into the IT field or validate myself in IT. My CCNA route would be getting the hardware (none of that simulator stuff) and doing the one exam. I would take my sweet time working through it until I felt confident that I could pass the exam with one try. But that scenario would be (for me) the only reason I don't list a cert....personal fulfillment.