Windows Licensing

mtlbenzmtlbenz Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

i tried getting information about windows licensing, but i can't understand it.

Let's say you are responsible for deploying a win2000 network. You have 2 servers and 50 workstations.

What licensing do u chose? where do you go to buy the software? how does it work? do you get ONE cd and 50 keys? or 50 cds?

i don't get the basic concept of where u go and how u deploy the licenses...

Thanks if you can help.

Comments

• determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    Well, I can get you the answer to that. I sold all that stuff for years now until I went into the field myself.

You are going to order 2x Windows 2000/2003 Server Licenses and you get additional CAL's (Client Access Licenses). You have to get 1 CAL per workstation. Now there are different ways to do that. I am not sure how exactly it works right now since Microsoft changed their licensing program a lot. The easiest way to get them is to call a major reseller like CDW, PC Mall, Tigerdirect.com (Business to Business department and such...) they can help you out exactly.

The prices depend on how many licenses you are going to buy and if you are looking to license per device or per user. You can also get Software Assurance or not.

If you get Software Assurance you will pay a little bit more for the licenses and they are going to be good for a couple years. If Microsoft brings out a new product you will get the upgrades for free.

I know this is really complex but if you have questions just send me an PM and i'll send you my phone number and I can explain that to you.

Hope this helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/default.mspx
  • mtlbenzmtlbenz Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello germangiant,

thank you so much for answering me! Now things are clearer!

Thanks for taking the time :)
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    The cheapest way is open licenses. You get one CD and 50 licenses that you get from a secure Microsoft site. You purchase the licenses from a reseller. Same with Windows; buy the CALS. Also software assurance is nice, it can cost as much as 20% per license. Usualy buying these for Office is not a bad idea.
  • mtlbenzmtlbenz Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks garv221 ! :)

so one last question :D

if i want to install win2000 pro on the 50 workstations using RIS (remote installation service), where do i put the CALs in? a CAL is a product key right?

damn, sorry if it might look as stupid questions. But i never been in a real environment (i wait to finish my college diploma). I think it's a very important subject: how to properly deploy win2000.

thanks!!
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    For the example you mentioned you need at least 102 licenses:
    - 2 Windows 2000 Server Licenses
    - 50 Windows 2000 Pro licences
    - 50 Client Access Licenses (CALs), allows a client connection to a Windows 200 server.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Webmaster wrote:
    For the example you mentioned you need at least 102 licenses:
    - 2 Windows 2000 Server Licenses
    - 50 Windows 2000 Pro licences
    - 50 Client Access Licenses (CALs), allows a client connection to a Windows 200 server.

icon_confused.gif:

The Pro licenses are be the CAL, right?

Anyway,
    For W2K in the Open License Bus 6.0 (Corporate)
    today it would be:

Windows 2003 Server - (downgrade to use W2K media)
    50 -CAL's (W2K3)
    50 - TS CAL's (W2K3)
    1- media (W2K)
    (Becasuse TS is no longer included with the CAL as it was in W2K, and now you are using the W2K3 license, so if you want Terminal
    Services...you get to pay for it :) ).

And since the server license comes with 5 CAL's
    it would be more like:
    2 - Server (each w/ 5 CAL's specify user/device)
    40 - CAL's (user/device)
    1 -media (W2K) (or however many media you want...I'd get 2 for 50 - though they'll run from $22-$27 depending on how you qualify.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The Pro licenses are be the CAL, right?
    I'm not sure I understand your question, but with the "50 Windows 2000 Pro licences" I was refering to the clients' operating systems, not the client access licenses.
    And since the server license comes with 5 CAL's
    it would be more like:
    2 - Server (each w/ 5 CAL's specify user/device)
    40 - CAL's (user/device)
    Although it doesn't change the fact you need 50 in total, Windows server does indeed include 5 minimum, minimum as you can buy it with more CALs as well.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I don't know what I was reading last night..... icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes, the OS is NOT the CAL and both are needed. - sorry about that.

I think I was thinking more along the lines of the workstations were already sitting in place with an OS and the question was what is needed to connect to the server.

Either it is all purchased at once or in parts....you are correct they are all (both) needed for a total cost budget.

Generally, we set up people who have systems etc... now they need their first server. Or perhaps they are adding a second/third/forth server to the mix. Rarely do we need to add the workstations AND servers at the same time.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?