Newb question about VMware certs

whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
Hello All

My main area of familiarity is VMWare Workstation 6.x and 7.x.

I was taking a look at the VMWare cert site, and it appears that most certs are geared towrads VSphere or something along the more enterprise level.

Does anyone know of a cert that will certify a person in Workstation? Or is it just not worth it for them to do it (or for us, as test-takers, to do it)?

Thanks!
2017 Goals:
[ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
Future Goals:
TBD

Comments

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    VCA4-DT is the desktop/workstation side. From my experience VCP has much better name recognition. I've gotten many calls from recruiters who should be looking for VCA4-DT, but the req list VCP.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    dave330i wrote: »
    VCA4-DT is the desktop/workstation side. From my experience VCP has much better name recognition. I've gotten many calls from recruiters who should be looking for VCA4-DT, but the req list VCP.

Thanks for the info. Have you taken the VCA4-DT? Difficult? Is this a test leading up to the VCP? Any particular good site you recommend for VCP cert progression?

Again, thanks for the reply!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm pretty sure VCA4-DT is about desktop virtualization, VMware View, and not about being certified in Workstation. I can't see much of a need for certifying in Workstation or how it would increase your marketability. You'd be much better served by doing the course and taking the VCP exam.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    undomiel wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure VCA4-DT is about desktop virtualization, VMware View, and not about being certified in Workstation. I can't see much of a need for certifying in Workstation or how it would increase your marketability. You'd be much better served by doing the course and taking the VCP exam.

You're right. My bad. VCA4-DT covers View only. VMware doesn't have any cert involving Workstation.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    For what it's worth, if you know workstation, you've already got the foundation for how VMware does virtualization, how virtual hardware & VMware tools, etc work. That's not to say it's an easy jump to the baremetal hypervisors, but it's a step in the right direction. If that's a path you really want to pursue, I say go for it.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi