CompTIA Certifications

charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just realize after doing the Network+, it also extends the expiry date on A+. I figure wouldn't it be more logical to just re-up security every 3 years, instead of going through this CEU business. It's a little bit more expensive, but it saves alot of time.

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    charlesc09 wrote: »
    I just realize after doing the Network+, it also extends the expiry date on A+. I figure wouldn't it be more logical to just re-up security every 3 years, instead of going through this CEU business. It's a little bit more expensive, but it saves alot of time.

From my understanding, if you have all three certs (A+, Network+ and Security+), you can pay $147 for the CE program and then you earn 50 CEUs to upgrade Security+. It will automatically upgrade the other two (A+ and Network+) [I see now that CASP has been included. If you have the CASP certification, you have to complete 75 CEUs for that one and that renews the lower three.]
    If a candidate holds multiple CompTIA certifications are they required to renew each of them?
    No. Candidates with multiple CompTIA certifications are encouraged to participate in CE at the highest level
    of certification held. For example, someone who holds CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+and CompTIA CASP certifications would be required to meet only the continuing education requirements forCompTIA CASP. Completion of CE for CompTIA CASP would renew the CompTIA CASP and also grant thecandidate with a CompTIA A+ce, CompTIA Network+ce and CompTIA Security+ce. Please note candidates musthave previously passed the exam(s) to earn the certification for it to be applicable as part of the CE program. No
    certification is granted through CE participation, only renewed.

http://certification.comptia.org/Libraries/Certification_Documents/ceu_faq.sflb.ashx
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I personally think that CEUs are way too easy to earn to ever consider resitting an exam. Also, $147 is a lot less than $329 for the CASP or $276 for the Security+. There are so many free ways to earn CEUs, including studying for other related exams. Plus, you can fail an exam, but not CEUs.