Cisco CCNA or MS Certs?

DaPurpleRTDaPurpleRT Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I am the IT manager at a large organization now and have settled into to it to the point I'd like to grab a few more certifications the first half of this year then begin my Masters degree in the Fall. Company-wide is standardized and all of our networking equipment (well, 95%+) is Cisco while our servers are Wintel.

I took classes in college for the CCNA but never took it. I don't have much to do switch'router wise aside from some programming and monitoring because we have an entire team dedicated to that. We also have a dedicated team for the servers but I have a bit more involvement/need for involvement at my particular location. I also really enjoy learning about Windows Servers more too I think.

What I am looking for is unbiased reviews as to what would be the most beneficial resume-wise as well as actually learning skills? I currently have CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+.

TIA guys.

Comments

• bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    There are a number of variables that are going to go in to that decision, and it can even differ from region-to-region as to what is more marketable. For example, in my neck of the woods the CCNA is listed on almost EVERY networking/systems-related job posting. My interest happens to be networking, so for me the CCNA makes a lot of sense to pursue (and CCNP, and hopefully CCNP:S at some point, etc.). If you also have interest in networking, or want to get a little more "under the hood" with your devices, then I would say doing the CCNA would definitely be beneficial. On the other hand, the Microsoft certs tend to be very marketable as well, especially if the person interviewing you has any experience with the Microsoft tests (and thus knows how difficult they can be to pass). This is all my $.02; you will probably get many varied answers to this question, but in the end it's up to you and your interests. Good luck to you, with whatever you decide!
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It depends. I think in your position, I'd probably be more focused on project, IT operation and manager related certifications, as it will im
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Oops iPhone.

The certifications like CISSP, ITIL, PMP, etc would be more beneficial in a managerial position, especially if you move to another organization.

Having said that, You could either get CCNA or MCTIP to better understand the technology your IT employees are using.

Or maybe you could read the Sybex CCNA or MCTS books. They'll give you a solid foundation.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    ...The certifications like CISSP, ITIL, PMP, etc would be more beneficial in a managerial position, especially if you move to another organization...
    ...I think in your position, I'd probably be more focused on project, IT operation and manager related certifications...

I'm also an IT manager, to be honest when I did alot more on the technical side did the technical certs. However lately I've been doing more management level/style certs to compliment my job role (and to work towards my next job), but then again like I said I already gained a few technical certs already...
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    If you like Windows, look at the MCITP:VA/SA/EA tracks. It will be quite a challenge so you need to do what you like.

I just took the Project+ exam and will avoid any job that would require me to get a PMP. PM is just not my cup of tea.

I like Security so I enjoyed getting my CISSP. It's all about what you want to do with your career.
  • craigaaroncraigaaron Member Posts: 132
    my manager at work is doing MCITP cert track since he does alot of windows server stuff, myself as an IT assistant i am doing my cisco stuff
    Currently Studying: CCNP Security
    300-206 - Completed 04-Jul-2014
    300-209 - Completed 09-May-2017
    300-208 - TBC
    300-210 - TBC
  • DaPurpleRTDaPurpleRT Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Interesting thoughts guys. I have not been here long, and being a Fortune 200 company I am not planning on leaving anytime soon (unless a Fortune 100 comes calling with a better offer maybe, haha) but I do see myself as possibly leaving down the line and especially maybe ending up teaching one day.

I have access and control to both arenas, networking equipment and switches, so that doesn't help with my decision. I also feel that extended knowledge either way would help me feel more "in control".

So basically I am still uncertain. How long, on average, do Cisco Vs. MS Certifications stay valid nowadays? I know the days of "forever" with MS are gone (if I thought I could complete it in time I"d get the MCSE, haha).

Thanks for the input so far guys.
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DaPurpleRT wrote: »
    Interesting thoughts guys. I have not been here long, and being a Fortune 200 company I am not planning on leaving anytime soon (unless a Fortune 100 comes calling with a better offer maybe, haha) but I do see myself as possibly leaving down the line and especially maybe ending up teaching one day.

I have access and control to both arenas, networking equipment and switches, so that doesn't help with my decision. I also feel that extended knowledge either way would help me feel more "in control".

So basically I am still uncertain. How long, on average, do Cisco Vs. MS Certifications stay valid nowadays? I know the days of "forever" with MS are gone (if I thought I could complete it in time I"d get the MCSE, haha).

Thanks for the input so far guys.

Cisco certifications are 3 years for the Associate and professional level exams.

Cisco Specializations (which I don't believe you need) are 2 years and are more geared towards Cisco partner company employees.

If you're a manager and wanted a cisco certification, I'd suggest CCNA and possibly CCDA to give you a rounded understanding from the implementation (which you already have some from the CCNA course) and the design perspective if you have to speak to external companies during bids etc.

Getting into professional level Cisco certs is for engineers and designers who work with the kit on a daily basis i.e. CCNP CCDP.

I'm out of touch with the Microsoft side of things so can't help you there I'm afraid!