Computer Forensics Certifications

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Was this for entry-level positions though, or not?

Thanks for responding to my question by the way.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I have yet to see a job posting for an "entry-level" CF job. Everyplace hiring around me wants experienced people. That being said, I was still able to get interviews despite not having any practical CF experience or CF certs.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I have yet to see a job posting for an "entry-level" CF job. Everyplace hiring around me wants experienced people. That being said, I was still able to get interviews despite not having any practical CF experience or CF certs.

That has been my experience as well. I'm surprised by the low pay though.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @veritas_libertas,

Are you looking to get into the CF field?
    @veritas_libertas,

Are you looking to get into the CF field?

Considering. That is how I would put it ;)
    Have you attempted to study for any CF certs?
    Have you attempted to study for any CF certs?

I've read several books, and played around with some forensic tools. If I go after something, it will most likely be the CCE, and that would happen only if I decided to take the CCE bootcamp.
    Any reason why you would go for the CCE 1st? Probably because it's not about a single forensic tool and more of a broad scope of CF?
    Any reason why you would go for the CCE 1st? Probably because it's not about a single forensic tool and more of a broad scope of CF?

Yes. It would be silly for me to pursue a certification on a tool I do not have access to.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Great thread everyone, I wanted to pop in here, CF has come up on my radar, and it is at the least, something that I am interested in looking into. What is a good primer on the basics of CF? I saw it mentioned that the CHFI covers this arena, is it worth it to look for training material for the cert, and see if it is for me? I dont see myself taking the CHFI, but as someone said, it covers the basics.

Just for extra info, i'm considering few possibilities w/ my career, I might be interested in LE or Intelligence with a computer/technology concentration; though I realize there is no way to jump into these positions without experience.
    Look at these books:

Windows Forensic Analysis DVD Toolkit

Windows Registry Forensics: Advanced Digital....

File System Forensic Analysis
    SephStorm wrote: »
    though I realize there is no way to jump into these positions without experience.
    Sure there is. The military, police academies, and Federal organizations like the FBI routinely take on new recruits that only have basic education and skills and will train them in specialized areas, such as law, computer systems, and digital forensics. Being in the military, your foot is already more in the door more than the rest of us. You just need to find a way to parlay your current experience into a legal or law enforcement opportunity.

In addition to looking at technical CF books, have a look at the "principles and practices"-type books too:

Amazon.com: Digital Evidence and Computer Crime, Third Edition: Forensic Science, Computers, and the Internet (9780123742681): Eoghan Casey BS MA: Books
    Amazon.com: Computer Forensics: Principles and Practices (978013154727icon_cool.gif: Linda Volonino, Reynaldo Anzaldua, Jana Godwin: Books
    Amazon.com: Computer Forensics: Cybercriminals, Laws, and Evidence (9781449600723): Marie-Helen Maras: Books
    Amazon.com: Guide to Computer Forensics and Investigations (9781435498839): Bill Nelson, Amelia Phillips, Christopher Steuart: Books

And maybe even:

Amazon.com: Computer Forensics For Dummies (9780470371916): Linda Volonino, Reynaldo Anzaldua: Books
    I just spoke with AccessData about their ACE training courses (FTK bootcamp and Windows XP), each course is $2495 a piece....and they are only 3 day courses. I can see why their exam is free, they charge a hefty price for their training.
    Is the FTK training required to take the ACE? I don't believe it is. I've also read of people passing the new ACE v3 exam having only FTK v2 experience.
    The training is not required, but I dont know what else to study besides taking the course (which Im not going to do). I know they have a few video's on their website, but they definitely do not cover the full exam.
    Any colleges local to you teach a CF course featuring FTK? It would be worth looking around for such.
    I couldnt find any in the Denver area.
  • JoshsevoJoshsevo Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got hired for an entry level Computer Forensics analyst with the DEA at $80,000...actually I am the guy that YucktheFankees is talking about taking my intern position at job here in Denver. Now I am still waiting on the clearance to go through but seeing as I had one in the Navy I should get it easily. They actually found me online.

So there are entry level jobs for CF out there. It took me 6 months after I got out of school to find one that looked past where I went to school (Devry) and looked at my passion since I volunteer my time at my part time job now. It's unpaid. This is my dream job. So I suppose my hard work is paying off.
    The hard work definitely paid off, let us know how you like the job once you start.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Joshsevo wrote: »
    So there are entry level jobs for CF out there. It took me 6 months after I got out of school to find one that looked past where I went to school (Devry) and looked at my passion since I volunteer my time at my part time job now. It's unpaid. This is my dream job. So I suppose my hard work is paying off.

Two questions, is there any indication that that is why you feel you didnt get other offers, Because of your school? Also, I have a friend taking classes at Devry, I was lead to believe that the courses were difficult. Then again, it may have been juggling work and school, but IAC, I would like to hear your opinion of Devry. I think buisnesses, as well as individuals may have prejudged schools like UoP and Devry harshly. I was speaking to an education counsoler who stated she didnt have anything against UoP, but I always thought it was the originator for the for profit online school hating.
  • JoshsevoJoshsevo Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Most CF jobs wanted experience where I didn't have a ton. There are plenty of CF jobs for entry level. you just need to know where to look and to use the proper terminology when doing searches.

I had an interview with a DoD contractor working for the Army in AZ in August and I thought I was a shoe in for the job. I was interviewing with two people at the same time and he said I don't like the students that come out of Devry. He didn't elaborate and I didn't try to pry it out of him either.

Sure the classes were hard. I didn't ace all of them. I took like 45 classes ranging from CF to english to history, to math, Stats, business, science, So I got a well rounded education. There is a long thread about this on here. Just do a search for Devry and it will pop up.

Devry has been around for like 90 years and Henry Devry invented the first ship to shore communication for the US Navy. So it's not like some guy just randomly made a school up. Devry actually has some history to it in regards to the US.
    Josh,

What terminology were you using to find CF jobs?
    Joshsevo wrote: »
    and he said I don't like the students that come out of Devry. He didn't elaborate and I didn't try to pry it out of him either.
    It's good that you didn't try. He may have flunked out of DeVry himself and you'd just have been tapping on a raw nerve.
    Has anyone tried a forensic challenge, like the DC3 challenge? DC3 Cyber Crime Challenges

I might just sign up and see what it's like.
    Does anyone have an opinion on what the CF career outlook might look like in 2-10 years? With cyber crime increasing, I would think CF jobs would increase...?
    For there to be CF jobs there must be budgets to hire more CF people. Money--or the lack there of--is the major reason why you don't see a big demand for trained CF people right now. Until the economy gets better for that sort of thing, train yourself as best you can so you are able to take advantage of the opportunity when it arrives.
  • pcgizzmopcgizzmo Member Posts: 127
    JD Murray is there any way to PM you? Thanks..
    I pre-ordered the book about 3 days ago because Amazon said the release date was 04-01 but every other website shows this book comes out in June/July 2012. So I'm a little confused on the actual release date.
    It's not uncommon for the publication date of a book to get pushed out because of post-production issues or whatever. The best authority is the publisher's page for the book, which did display the release date as April 2012, but I see is now July 2012: Wiley: EnCase Computer Forensics -- The Official EnCE: EnCase Certified Examiner Study Guide, 3rd Edition

You might also way to get the skinny from the author himself. Steve Bunting's email address is on his LinkedIn page.