Confused. Windows Partition and BIOS

1Ste1Ste Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Im confused.

Newer BIOS can detect and read up to 144 PetaBytes?

Windows XP can only see partitions up 137 GB's until you upgrade to service Pack 2?

LBA mode is used fro drives larger then 504 MB?

ECHS mode is used for drives 504 MB - 8.4 GB?

I guess I need clarification...

those are all questions I don't know if their right.
Working for Network+, Server+, CCNA, Security+, CCNP, CCIE. MCSE.

Bachelors Degree in computer information Systems.

Wanna help?

Comments

• ScarletLaceScarletLace Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1Ste wrote:
    Windows XP can only see partitions up 137 GB's until you upgrade to service Pack 2?

Not necessarily. Windows XP Service Pack 1 includes 48-bit LBA bios support. So you can install Intel Application Accelerator which allows bios to see partitions that are greater than 137GB known as 48- bit LBA (logical block addressing). This way Windows XP can see partitions greater than 137GB.

1Ste wrote:
    LBA mode is used fro drives larger then 504 MB?

ECHS mode is used for drives 504 MB - 8.4 GB?

My understanding is that both LBA and ECHS can see drives from 504MB-8.4GB (this figure is in binary) or 528MB-8GB(this figure is in decimal).

To see drives greater than 8.4GB, use INT13.
  • 1Ste1Ste Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ALrighty makes more since now.

Btw we had a quiz on harddrives and floppies today in class.

outta 40 question I got a 31/40 best score in class, sad because thats like a 77% which is bad if it where actual test.

Wanna help?
    Congratulations on obtaining the best score in the class 1 Ste! icon_thumright.gif

Sure :) . I’ll help you, if I can, with any questions you may have. If I don’t have the knowledge or experience in a particular area, there are lots of people here with the knowledge and experience that can help you too, so don’t worry. icon_cool.gif
    Congratulations on obtaining the best score in the class 1 Ste! icon_thumright.gif

Sure :) . I’ll help you, if I can, with any questions you may have. If I don’t have the knowledge or experience in a particular area, there are lots of people here with the knowledge and experience that can help you too, so don’t worry. icon_cool.gif

wait I thought that ECHS can only see drives from 504 MB to 8.5 GB and I also thought LBA could see anything over 538 MB?

Im confused about the Exact Number, but Im sure those are in the "range" of it.

Wanna help?
    Look at pages 23-25 in the link below:

http://soc.byuh.edu/stanleyt/chap08.pdf

Hope this helps

There was a better web site explaining all this but now I can't remember
    where it is. I should have recorded it. Anytime I find it, I'll give you the link to it.
  • sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dude consider yourself lucky icon_wink.gif

in my class only 4 people out of 10 got 75% i got 70% well my fault anyway should study ;) more :)
    [

quote="1Ste"]ALrighty makes more since now.

Btw we had a quiz on harddrives and floppies today in class.

outta 40 question I got a 31/40 best score in class, sad because thats like a 77% which is bad if it where actual test.[/quote]
    working on CCNA
    I don't really study, I kinda absorb information when its talked about then I read the whole chapter, thats usally enough for me. Damm I wish all My future certs would be as easy as A+.

Wanna help?