Options

VCP for Junior Server Admin

asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
Hi;

I am Junior Server Admin 6 with 6 months work expereince as a admin, and 6 years with Helpdesk/Desktop Support experience.

I am going to be taken VCP 5 course/exam starting next week.

I am also keen on taking VCAP5 - Datacenter Administration soon after.

Question
1. What is the career impact and job market with VCP
2. More Important I could not find any job posting which requires VCAP - DA? Is there a point doing it, and would it be beneficial. I can see VCP having a direct Postive impact when job hunting, but VCAP i don't see it.
3. Would Storage Certification go well with VCP. I will be writing the EMC Information Storage Associate (EMCISA) certification.

Background: I already have CCNA & MCITP: EA (Windows Server 200icon_cool.gif, and CEH certification, MCTS: Microsoft Exchaneg 2007

I think Storage and VCP would be the missing link before i go for the dream job

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    asurania wrote: »
    Hi;

I am Junior Server Admin 6 with 6 months expererience.
    What does this mean? And do you really only have six months of professional certification, or just within this position? You are pretty highly certified.
    asurania wrote: »
    Question
    1. What is the career impact and job market with VCP
    2. More Important I could not find any job posting which requires VCAP - DA? Is there a point doing it, and would it be beneficial. I can see VCP having a direct Postive impact when job hunting, but VCAP i don't see it.
    3. Would Storage Certification go well with VCP. I will be writing the EMC Information Storage Associate (EMCISA) certification.

Background: I already have CCNA & MCITP: EA (Windows Server 200icon_cool.gif, and CEH certification, MCTS: Microsoft Exchaneg 2007

I think Storage and VCP would be the missing link before i go for the dream job
    VCP has market value, but you won't find many jobs you couldn't get without it if you have professional experience with VMware along with your existing certifications. VCP won't hurt and might get you a better salary.

I see no point in any of the desktop virtualization certs. I have not seen market value or name recognition on them, and I don't see desktop virtualization as being as widespread as server and session virtualization. I certainly haven't seen many good case studies for it making more sense than a different solution, and I don't feel that the industry is headed in the direction.

SAN and virtualization go hand-in-hand. I definitely feel that the certifications compliment each other well.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    Hey Just correct my orginal post.

Thanks for the reply . I have 6 months Server admin expereince, and 6 years of Desktop/Helpdesk expereince (3 years in each).

I wanted to know if there was any poing doing the:
    [h=4]VCAP4-DCA - vSphere 4/5 - Datacenter Administration (not the desktop one).[/h]
    Thanks
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sorry, I mixed it up with the -DT exams. It would make more sense to wait for VCAP5-DCA to go live. That said, I haven't seen job ads specifying a flavor of VCAP. Generally, "VCAP or VCDX" or "VCP or VCAP" is what you'll see on a job posting. Any VCAP certification is definitely worth pursuing, and very much sets you up as a VMware guy. VCP, from what I've heard, is pretty entry-level and easy, given that you have to take the class. That's not to say it isn't a valuable representation of skill, it's just not that valuable.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You have to be a VCP to qualify for doing the VCAP exams, so I'd advise to worry about achieving that first. It takes most people a good few months to prepare for the VCAP-DCA exam - I hold that certification for vSphere 4 and have spoken to many others who've done it too.

Scott.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com