Options

the ol' CCNA or MCSE question...

skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hiya all,

I'm just coming to a close on my Network+ course, and will take the exam within a week assuming the holidays don't mess anything up (even for a major metropolitan area the centers are understaffed at times).

My question is this:

I'm enrolled at Techskills, which is a good place that has helped me a lot. I could have passed the N+ on my own, but I figured I'll pay by the year and get through as much material as I can cover in that time.

Since I'm getting ready to move on to my next course, I was wondering if I should go for CCNA, because it *should* take 8-10 weeks if I study a lot (you move at your own pace, and they have weekly tests to see how you progress), or if I should go on to the MS exams.

I'm more familiar with a Winblows environment than I am with pure networking, but it will still take at least several months to complete the MCSE, and then I may do add ons (like security).

However, since the Network+ covers some of the fundamentals that would be good to learn for Cisco, and it's fresh in my head, I wondered if I shouldn't bite the bullet and go for the CCNA, which I was planning to do someday anyway. I would have a cert that holds a lot of respect within a reasonable amount of time, as opposed to the MSCE which will take some time.

The odd factors are that I have an MS lab available to me at home, where I can do it at any time. The Cisco labs I can only do in between temp jobs and even then only certain hours.

Thoughts?
I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber

Comments

• Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Which Techskills do you go to? I used to be a mentor @ one a while back. Anyway...back to your question.... I am kind of partial to the Cisco track. But, even if I wasn't, I would still look to go that route. There is one test for the CCNA and many more for the Microsoft. Go straight into it while N+ is fresh......take the one test ....and move on if you want from there.

kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    spudnikspudnik Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would agree with Ten9t6 go CCNA, then you can allways move onto MCSE.

What type of job are you looking for in the long run? sys admin, network admin, I would also base you decision on what you want to do, if sys admin go for MCSE, if network go CCNA
  • Options
    I study at the one here in Denver (or just south of it). They seem nice and the curriculum is good if not perfect. My only gripe is that sometimes you take weekly finals on something you cover in the NEXT section :).

I'll have to figure out what I want to do. I KNOW more about Sysadmin, and have at least been very well tied in to that function. Neither will necessarily get me a job right off the bat.

The other aspect to debate (when I do the mcse)is that they way they've set up the MSCE, you can also get the MCDBA by selecting the right 2 electives. However, I HATE databases, and dunno if I want anything like that tied to my name whatsoever. I may just take the security add ons, since I am interested in Security.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    Skully...

I too can not stand databases....well, database administration. But, I went through and got my MCDBA. If you are interested in security, I would take a hard look at the DBA courses also. Think about it....all the big time breakins have involved user information (Card #s, SS#, birthdates...and so on)..Where is all that info stored? Yup....databases. So, the more you understand them, the better you can secure them. Just a thought.

But, I feal you pain....I would not want to be a database administrator myself. It is not for everyone.

Is the Techskills in Highlands Ranch....I was in that town last year for two weeks...I really loved it.

Kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    Ten,

Yah, I think that's what it might be called. It's right off I-25 and bellview. There is only one in the state at the moment, so if that's not where they were that's where they are now. Nice kids.

At any rate, the certs I want to have, at least the near-er future are CCNA, MCSE + security (which will include the Security +).

Then I'll want to do some linux (linux +?), go up the cisco ladder, and then probably just drive off a cliff or something.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    skully93 wrote:
    Ten,

Then I'll want to do some linux (linux +?), go up the cisco ladder, and then probably just drive off a cliff or something.

hahah.....I feal like that everytime I start studying for a new cert. The certs get harder and the cliff gets higher. icon_wink.gif

kenny
    Kenny

• Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    As others have mentioned, go for the CCNA while the knowledge is fresh.