Worried

nycidnycid Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I had to stop the Microsoft plan to get sec + out of the way to help with company goals and a pending review. I have Darril's book and on chapter 8. I am nailing the questions and understand the concept. My concern is when I sit for the exam I will not be ready. Could it possibly be this simple. I'm not knocking the exam but I want to make sure the questions in the book are close as possible to the exam to not get blind sided. I just downloaded the app too to have on the go....

Comments

• joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nycid wrote: »
    So I had to stop the Microsoft plan to get sec + out of the way to help with company goals and a pending review. I have Darril's book and on chapter 8. I am nailing the questions and understand the concept. My concern is when I sit for the exam I will not be ready. Could it possibly be this simple. I'm not knocking the exam but I want to make sure the questions in the book are close as possible to the exam to not get blind sided. I just downloaded the app too to have on the go....
    I'm guessing you're taking SY0-201? I used that book too. I made sure I could answer all of the questions 100% from the book, and then I used Transcender and did the same. I scored an 853(ish). There are many people who have passed SY0-201 using only Darril's book. I would personally recommend supplementing it with at least 1 good source.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • nycidnycid Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    no I just started first of the year so 301 for me...
  • charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I heard transcender is good, but friggin too expensive, and I don't think its worth spending that much on a CompTIA exam. I have actually bought exam crams for both A+ and Network+. didn't for security, but if you want an additional source, security+ exam cram might be good. I'll trust people on the forum with darril's source, hopefully its that good.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Once you're done reading the book, get this book:

Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead- SY0-301 Practice Test Questions eBook: Darril Gibson: Kindle Store

If you find yourself answering those questions correctly the first time then you're more than ready to take the exam. I just took and passed the SYO-301 in November and I used the Mike Myers Passport and Darril's SY0-301 practice questions.

Good luck.
    TeKniques wrote: »
    Once you're done reading the book, get this book:

Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead- SY0-301 Practice Test Questions eBook: Darril Gibson: Kindle Store

If you find yourself answering those questions correctly the first time then you're more than ready to take the exam. I just took and passed the SYO-301 in November and I used the Mike Myers Passport and Darril's SY0-301 practice questions.

Good luck.

That's what I was trying to ask. Alot of the questions on Darril's practice question's book is exactly the same as the one in the study guide. I bought both anyways but not sure if I should have just bought one.
  • joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is a good amount of material but I wouldn't call it difficult. It's not overly technical, just good base security knowledge. A good secondary source of material may be helpful but I doubt it's that tough. I havn't sat it yet, but I did read Darrills book a while back. I decided to wait and take it when I needed to renew my other certs, it looks like I'll be taking it through WGU now anyways.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    nycid wrote: »

First, I'm assuming you're using the 301 Study Guide. Second, I like to stress that you should look beyond just getting the questions correct. In other words, you should be able to look at any of the questions and know why the correct answer is correct, and why the incorrect answers are incorrect. If you can, you'll do fine. Don't expect any of the questions to be exact but you can expect to see questions on the same topics. You mention that you understand the concept, so I'm guessing you're on the right track and we're soon going to be reading your post saying "I passed...."
    charlesc09 wrote: »
    That's what I was trying to ask. Alot of the questions on Darril's practice question's book is exactly the same as the one in the study guide. I bought both anyways but not sure if I should have just bought one.

Yes, the practice test questions in the practice test question book are a subset of the questions from the study guide with some minor changes and with the explanations formatted a little differently. I created it for readers that may have studied with another source but wanted to test their readiness for the exam. Additionally, I know that that some readers often want to focus on specific objectives, so I organized the practice test questions book in domain order making it easier to focus on specific topics.
    charlesc09 wrote: »
    I heard transcender is good, but friggin too expensive, and I don't think its worth spending that much on a CompTIA exam. I have actually bought exam crams for both A+ and Network+. didn't for security, but if you want an additional source, security+ exam might be good. I'll trust people on the forum with darril's source, hopefully its that good.

I can't speak to Transcender's Security+ exams, but I know that they usually have quality practice test questions. With the books you've bought though, you don't need to spend the $139. We should be reading about your pass soon too.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+/Network+ Daily Tips
    Thanks for the encouragement Darril, but I don't think I'll be taking security anytime soon yet. I did take 3 months just for network+. I hope to do it roughly around the same, given my work schedule and recreational activities.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you understand what is in Darril's book then you could take the test much sooner. It really isn't bad. I studied Darril's book for the 201 off and on and passed with an 850. I was really worried like you are going into the test that I was going to fail. Even during the test I was still worried but came out with an 850. It took me about a month of off and on study to pass with this score really only using his book. I got the self-test software which is identical questions to the transcender cause I used those awhile before but paid alot less for self-test questions. The questions are just like any other CompTIA exam where its just 1 liners that basically test if you can memorize some info about security. I wouldn't wait that long but only you can judge how ready you are.
    If you understand what is in Darril's book then you could take the test much sooner. It really isn't bad. I studied Darril's book for the 201 off and on and passed with an 850. I was really worried like you are going into the test that I was going to fail. Even during the test I was still worried but came out with an 850. It took me about a month of off and on study to pass with this score really only using his book. I got the self-test software which is identical questions to the transcender cause I used those awhile before but paid alot less for self-test questions. The questions are just like any other CompTIA exam where its just 1 liners that basically test if you can memorize some info about security. I wouldn't wait that long but only you can judge how ready you are.

Another thing not mention is, did people who took it had prior security experience? That always helps, I found that it help me for A+ to have desktop support experience. and pc build/repair
    I'm actually still waiting for the study guides book, but able to at least start reading some previews online for study guide. Not sure why my shipment got delayed, but the practice questions has already arrived.
  • ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    Not to sound too amazing, but Sec+ was crazy easy for me. I have a networking background. I, like most, started at the helpdesk. Government work requires Sec+ for anybody with Systems Administration access. I went to a week long course, missed 2 days. Me and half the class were in a race to see who could finish the test first. I was 2nd. By 20 seconds. LOL. The point? ****'s easy. Much easier than any other test I've ever taken. I know everyone has different knowledge levels, but this test seemed rather straight forward. Multiple choice, one question is almost always easily scratched off the 'possibles' list. That leaves you with 3 possible answers. If you've studied at all, I'd imagine you would be able to narrow that down.

Take the test. Don't waste money on transcender or another fake test. Just take it. You'll do fine. And if you don't, you'll know EXACTLY what areas to study up on. Learn all the encryption and authentication. You're ready after you can tell me about those.
    n/m Got it in the mail today, my last package.
  • nycidnycid Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah i'm going to schedule it the first of Feb. Waiting on the funds. Hopefully I'll be done book about completed. Just to review take exam and pass and then get back on the MCITP track...
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    charlesc09, glad the book arrived. It certainly makes sense to do this on your own schedule.

kriscamaro68 does make a good point though, if you find you're getting through the book and the concepts are clear, you may be able to take it sooner. With the 3 months studying to master the Network+ material, you have already studied a lot for the Security+ exam.

While it is "crazy easy" for some people like ThunderPipe (I like that avatar) it depends on a person's background and previous knowledge. I've had people in classes I've taught with almost zero IT knowledge, but their job in physical security required them to get the Security+. I remember one student in particular who worked very hard and long on getting the cert and ultimately did, but I highly doubt that she say that it was "crazy easy" for her.

Good luck.

Darril Gibson