Passed CAPM yesterday, probably working on Project+ next

GoldenKnightGoldenKnight Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
I passed the CAPM exam yesterday from PMI. I know this is the Project+ forum but since there isn't a forum for PMI exams I figured this would be the best place to post this.

I'm probably going to work on Project+ next because of the crossover of material. I don't have the required hours of experience leading projects to get the PMP, so I figured having a combination of CAPM & Project+ would demonstrate my knowledge level.

Has anyone had experience with both exams or can speak to the similarity between the two?

Sounds like most people purchase the Sybex book to study for Project+ so I'll probably go with that. Any advice is totally welcome.
Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts - Information Science, PMP Project Management Professional, CAPM Certified Associate in Project Management, MCP Microsoft Certified Professional, Six Sigma White Belt

Comments

• colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • justanotherdayjustanotherday Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How are you finding the Project+ material since you already passed the CAPM?

I am doing the reverse, I passed the Project+ and am now studying for the CAPM. To be honest I found the Project+ to be challenging and I am just wondering how the two exams compare in level of difficulty and material.

What did you use to study for the CAPM? (For the Project + I used Sybex book, UCertify test prep and read some of Rita's PMP book)
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!!!

Wouldn't going back to the Project+ be a step back??
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • GoldenKnightGoldenKnight Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How are you finding the Project+ material since you already passed the CAPM?

I am doing the reverse, I passed the Project+ and am now studying for the CAPM. To be honest I found the Project+ to be challenging and I am just wondering how the two exams compare in level of difficulty and material.

What did you use to study for the CAPM? (For the Project + I used Sybex book, UCertify test prep and read some of Rita's PMP book)

So far I'm finding the two very, very similar. I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be pointlessly redundant. My goal for getting both certifications was that since I don't have the required hours for the PMP, I thought that obtaining both CAPM and Project+ certifications would demonstrate a more thorough understanding of Project Management practices and methodology than just the CAPM alone.

For studying for the CAPM I used a combination of the PMBOK and Joseph Phillips' All-In-One CAPM/PMP book.
    Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts - Information Science, PMP Project Management Professional, CAPM Certified Associate in Project Management, MCP Microsoft Certified Professional, Six Sigma White Belt
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So far I'm finding the two very, very similar. I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be pointlessly redundant. My goal for getting both certifications was that since I don't have the required hours for the PMP, I thought that obtaining both CAPM and Project+ certifications would demonstrate a more thorough understanding of Project Management practices and methodology than just the CAPM alone.

For studying for the CAPM I used a combination of the PMBOK and Joseph Phillips' All-In-One CAPM/PMP book.

I think that it would be redundant. Also, from what I have been told the Project+ is not well known.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would dare say that if you passed CAPM and remembered what you studied from that, you could have taken Project+ the next day and passed. I personally wouldn't have bothered with Project+ if I had the CAPM, but if you're using the Sybex PK0-003 guide, you're probably going to find extreme overlap from what was shown in the CAPM. (That was the only thing I used for study, and the uCertify.)

It is not the easiest exam to study for, as it is really dry stuff, but if you can get through the Sybex guide, you'll pass the exam with no problem. Only took me a little under two weeks to pass that exam. The only thing I was glad I could master was the lines of communications formula (know that!)

Best of luck in getting Project+, but you're really not gonna need it. :)
  • crashdumpcrashdump Banned Posts: 134