Comptia Cloud Certification

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
All,

So I was asked if I was "cloud" certified by a coworker. I told him I had done VMware training but never bothered to take the class for the cert.

But he then went on about Comptia Cloud cert. I guess we are moving some of our app servers to amazon and someone mentioned it to him.

I went to do some reseach but I can only tell it exists. But no books, no eLearning.. no anything? Seems they would have had a book and eLearning ready before they released the cert, right? Or am I completely wrong?

Just curious if anyone has this? Is getting this? Or is otherwise in the know on this cert and can shed some light on it.
-Daniel

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    All,

So I was asked if I was "cloud" certified by a coworker. I told him I had done VMware training but never bothered to take the class for the cert.

But he then went on about Comptia Cloud cert. I guess we are moving some of our app servers to amazon and someone mentioned it to him.

I went to do some reseach but I can only tell it exists. But no books, no eLearning.. no anything? Seems they would have had a book and eLearning ready before they released the cert, right? Or am I completely wrong?

Just curious if anyone has this? Is getting this? Or is otherwise in the know on this cert and can shed some light on it.

Haven't heard of it. May be Comptia jumping on the bandwagon. Cloud is a wooly concept and not covered in a single qualification.
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Cloud is a stupid buzzword that refers to managed services. Anyone who asks me what I think about this new "cloud" thing I slap across the face with my keyboard and tell them to GTFO of my office.

Not really, but I want to. The "cloud" is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Nothing new and nothing to do with technology. Just something to get those CEOs to shell out some more bucks for services they are either already taking care of in house or already paying someone else to do for them.

"OOOOooooooohhhhhh, Let's take it to the CLOUD!"

GTFO.

/end rant

As far as the certification goes, I wouldn't bother with it. It's something that HR people are going to go gaga over but any real IT person isn't going to be impressed. I guess I should say, any IT person that I would want to work for.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is it just me or does it seem like CompTIA has gone a little crazy lately? (Maybe I am missing some but.....)

Switched the 3 core certifcations to expire
    Launched Strata, Green, and Sales [I could be missing one or gotten one of those wrong]
    Storage+
    CASP
    Health care
    Business process one I believe
    Now Cloud
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    It does indeed exist, but it looks like CompTIA will have a hard time "selling" it:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/other-comptia-certifications/72800-comptia-cloud-essentials.html

Direct link: CompTIA Cloud Essentials

One of the items it covers is: - Technical perspective/cloud types, which has some overlap with the following Security+ Exam objectives:
    - Cloud Computing
    - - Platform as a Service
    - - Software as a Service
    - - Infrastructure as a Service

Plenty of HR personnel that might actually be impressed by "CompTIA Cloud Essentials" (which makes me wonder if they plan to create an "CompTIA Cloud Application", like A+ Essential and A+ Application)).
    N2IT wrote: »
    Is it just me or does it seem like CompTIA has gone a little crazy lately? (Maybe I am missing some but.....)

Switched the 3 core certifcations to expire
    Launched Strata, Green, and Sales [I could be missing one or gotten one of those wrong]
    Storage+
    CASP
    Health care
    Business process one I believe
    Now Cloud

They are trying to appeal to a larger demographic, which I understand, but by creating these certifications that are unnecessary, I feel that they are devaluing their other established certs.

As far as the expiration goes, that is something that they should have been doing from the get-go. They decided that it was important enough to get their certs ANSI certified that they invoked the new standard. ANSI decided that any certification should expire and 3 years was chosen as the standard. Microsoft doesn't currently use this standard, but I do see them moving that way. ISC2 has always been doing it. I personally like it. I still see people asking for the MCSE certification (and it is still being given out) even though the oldest OS being used is Win7 and Server 2008. While it did show vast knowledge on the platform, it's now a decade old.

I also feel that there should be re-testing for driver's licenses every so often, more so after age 50. My grandfather has been driving since 1935. Imagine the changes since then. Now think about how much faster computer technology has changed. Knowledge fades and new technology is created. People have to adapt to keep up.
    Webmaster wrote: »
    Plenty of HR personnel that might actually be impressed by "CompTIA Cloud Essentials" (which makes me wonder if they plan to create an "CompTIA Cloud Application", like A+ Essential and A+ Application)).

Excellent observation. This wouldn't surprise me in the least.