CISSP Exam Experience - Dec 18, Reston, VA

skvskv Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
I took the CISSP Exam yesterday (12/18 ) in Reston, VA. My experience with the exam was, well, surprising. I expected the exam to be extremely difficult, confusing etc however, I found it to be pretty straightforward. Don't get me wrong, it is difficult but I didn't spot any trick questions that threw me off or anything like that. I do admit there were a couple of questions that I was not very confident about but for the most part, if you know your material -- its not impossible.

My exam taking strategy was to mark all my answers in the booklet itself. I finished this process in about 2.5 hours. I then, took a bathroom break, ate my sandwich and got back to basically walking thru each question once again, confirming/modifying and marking my answers in the scantron sheet. This process took me another 2 hours but I was satisfied that I had been thorough.

I came out of the examination room and basically sat in the hotel lobby for the next thirty minutes with my eyes closed. I was mentally drained and needed that time to get myself together to drive home.

I feel that unless my foundation understanding was way off (always possible), I should pass the exam. But, who knows, untill I actually get the results e-mail.

Posting this info for anyone that is prepping to take this exam in the future. I know reading these types of accounts do prepare an individual in terms of what to expect. I visited this site a number of times to familiarize myself with personal accounts -- maybe that's why I didn't freak out at the exam :)

Comments

• DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Thanks for the post and you're correct, posting your experience is helpful for others. I think many of us can certainly relate to the mentally drained comment. I was wiped out for most of the rest of the day.

Darril Gibson
    Security Blog
  • AtomicfrogAtomicfrog Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like you did your homework and went in prepared. Sites like this are definitely helpful when folks take the time to recount their experiences. What sets this particular site apart from some of the others is that there is a good mix of success stories AND failures. I wish I could tell you that the hard part is over but unfortunately, to coin a phrase, the waiting is the hardest part.

All the best
  • skvskv Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks -- glad to be able to help.

Yup, the waiting can be tough. In my case, I planned it so that I take the exam right before a 10 day vacation (heading out this Friday). Once I get back, I'll be neck deep with work, so hopefully, I won't have much time to dwell on the 'endless wait'.
  • esid197esid197 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input. I'm planning on taking the exam January 21 in Reston, VA. Hope it won't be snowing that day.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Best advice I can give not mentioned here.

Even if you live in the city the exam is being proctored - stay at the hotel or as close to as possible. I just did the 17 December exam here in Chicago and still stayed at the Holiday in at Midway Airport. Took me almost an hour to get the hotel though I don't live more than say 20 miles. Got up the next day and saw ALL of the traffic lights leading to the hotel for miles were out. I don't mean blinking - I mean several miles of no traffic lights. Cicero Ave is a 8 lane thoroughfare. There would have been no way I would have made it to seating much less in any condition to sit for a test after sitting in traffic for what would have been 3 hours. Just a little horror story. No distractions. No drive, etc. made for a much easier transition into testing mode. I about freaked when I looked at traffic on Google Maps! All red for miles out to and backed up on the highway.

Total time to take the exam? About 4 hours 15 minutes. Skipped questions I was unsure about and did those I was. Most questions were straight forward and fair to answer (80%); 15% were those I had to work through or gleaned some insight/remembered later; the last 5% became pure swag and either fall into test questions or items I truly had forgotten about. Most of the questions that really stuck in my head I was able to find I answered correctly. One I found later that I didn't but an odd question anyways.

Overall, should I not pass. I'll do it again and buzz through like a chainsaw with a great deal more confidence. One person in my test group of 58 proudly told a proctor this was his third attempt. Twice maybe. Three times? Ugh!

- beads
    Good luck on your exam! If you study as suggested, by the time Jan. 21 arrives, you'll be ready to walk through a blizzard just to get the exam done and over with ;).
  • Pinky&TheBrainPinky&TheBrain Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any status update SKV?
    Any status update SKV?

Nope, I'm a day after you -- so I've got my eyes on your postings :)

Good luck, buddy!
    A month to the date -- no results yet icon_sad.gif
  • Pinky&TheBrainPinky&TheBrain Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    skv wrote: »
    A month to the date -- no results yet icon_sad.gif

Sorry buddy... It will be this week though... Anytime... Watch!!!
  • kad72kad72 Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SKV, My experience was similar to yours. I expected the exam to be real real hard, but at the end of it I was extremely confident about the pass. I had at the most 10 questions that I was not sure about the answer. Anyway let us wait for the results.
    Just got THE email --- I passed :D:D:D .................
  • EliebowitztechEliebowitztech Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the exam in Reston on Dec 18th. It has been a grueling month long wait for the results. I walked out of the exam with no clue how I did. I was overwhelmed as this was the first I have taken in almost 20 years.
    My wife has been coming to this site multiple time every day for signs of anyone getting their results. I couldn't bring myself to look onto it since I was so unsure of my results.

I got my E-Mail today. I PASSED!!!!

For everyone that took their test in Reston on Dec 18th, you should be getting your E-mail today! Good luck.
    Congratulations!!

We did it!
    I took the exam in Reston on Dec 18th. It has been a grueling month long wait for the results. I walked out of the exam with no clue how I did. I was overwhelmed as this was the first I have taken in almost 20 years.
    My wife has been coming to this site multiple time every day for signs of anyone getting their results. I couldn't bring myself to look onto it since I was so unsure of my results.

I got my E-Mail today. I PASSED!!!!

For everyone that took their test in Reston on Dec 18th, you should be getting your E-mail today! Good luck.
    Considering there were probably 85 people taking the exam with us, I'm looking forward to seeing more replies like this!!!
    Yup, it was fairly crowded if I remember correctly.

Do you already have someone planned for the endorsement process? The shock/relief is starting to wear off and I'm already looking into the next steps :)
    Considering there were probably 85 people taking the exam with us, I'm looking forward to seeing more replies like this!!!
    I have a few people at work that are certified, so I filled out the endorsement form and sent it in this afternoon.

I was definitely in shock for the first hour after getting the E-Mail.

Congrats on passing the exam!!
    Then you're already ahead of me :) I was too busy running around the office telling everyone I passed and on the phone with family & friends. I do have someone at work to so hopefully I should have mine in the mail either today or tomorrow.

I have a few people at work that are certified, so I filled out the endorsement form and sent it in this afternoon.

I was definitely in shock for the first hour after getting the E-Mail.

Congrats on passing the exam!!
    Thanks Darril!

Darril wrote: »
    Congratulations to both of you! Excellent!

Darril