Interesting Born to Learn article

PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
Have MCTS/MCITP exams got easier? - Born to Learn - Born To Learn - Born to Learn

I was reading through this today. I tend to agree with most of the comments. Having taken a fair number of the exams relating to server 2003 and XP, some of those exams were quite difficult, especially the 291/293. Both in technical material and wading through 1/2 page of filler text. Having completed the 640 exam, I liked that the exam was more straight forward and asked more technical questions.

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can't say that I found the exams I've taken so far much easier than the 2003 exams I took. I guess 7 was maybe a bit easier than XP, but XP was stupidly hard.

I really don't see any problem with the difficulty of the MCITP:SA/EA tracks relative to their MCSE equivalents. They are, for the most part, good exams that test the right knowledge in the right way.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd say they are little easier but not by much. For me the MCITP exams became easier, but I think it's because I have been working on server OS's for a few years now. Back when I was doing the MCSA, I didnt get to touch a server at work and it made the tests harder.

But I'll agree that the MCITP tests are straightforward, with the exception of the 70-647 which throws plenty of curve balls in the scenario based questions.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm not sure if they are easier because I know a lot more of the material through work, hands on, and previous knowledge, or if they are just generally less difficult topics.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I first took the MCTS/MCITP exams for Server 2008 it was right after having completed my MCSE: Security. So the 291 and 293 were VERY fresh in my mind. I in no way felt the exams were "easy" in that I could just read some books and take the test. But I was struck by the change and mentioned it several times on TE.

What I found was that the questions were less about reading comprehension and more about the application of the technology. The old MCP era exams seemed to try and confuse you, generally by front loading the question with irrelevant details that would distract the test taker into thinking the question was about DNS when really it was a question about the IP space and the default route.

I personally don't believe that questions like that are any more valid at evaluating the knowledge of the tester than more direct questions. I think all they do is make the test harder in a way that does not relate to what you know but how well you read and use logic (also important skills for IT pros but arguably NOT what the test is supposed to evaluate).
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I found that, once they stopped writing the questions like page-long epic poems about Contoso Ltd., the exams were much more straightforward and you could rely more on your technical knowledge to recognize the problem rather than try to guess what answer they were expecting based solely on the twists and turns in the "storyline".

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have to agree with the premise... Having an MCSE on 2003 and 2003, I saw questions on the MCITP: EA/SA path that could have been answered by someone that was vaguely familiar with Windows NT 3.51...
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I found that, once they stopped writing the questions like page-long epic poems about Contoso Ltd., the exams were much more straightforward and you could rely more on your technical knowledge to recognize the problem rather than try to guess what answer they were expecting based solely on the twists and turns in the "storyline".

+1 there. I prefer more straight-forward questions. I understand that some background information is necessary, but when you nearly run out of time due to reading a novel's worth of material, that's frustrating.