A quadruple CCIE

2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
This is the first time I've ever heard of (or seen for that matter) a person holding 4 CCIE's and a score of other high-level technical certifications. It makes me wonder!

Does this guy just literally have too much knowledge (I mean... the stuff can clog it self up at some point, right?)? 4 CCIE's, oh my God!:

http://smorris.uber-geek.net

If you're surprised with his resume, check out his four rack lab!

http://smorris.uber-geek.net/lab.htm

2lbs.
Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.

Comments

• Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Although this is the first time I've ever heard of (or seen for that matter) a person holding 4 CCIE's and a score of other high-level technical certifications. It makes me wonder!

Does this guy just literally have too much knowledge (I mean... the stuff can clog it self up at some point, right?)...?

http://smorris.uber-geek.net

If you're surprised with his resume, check out his four rack lab!

http://smorris.uber-geek.net/lab.htm

2lbs.

Check out Keyur Shah @ HelloComputers ... he is also a Quadruple CCIE and has helped others become a quadruple CCIE....It is insane how much these people know..But..this is how I look at it...If there is even one person out there that has it...Then it can be done. How bad do you want it?

Check this out...It gets even better!

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/625/ccie/case_studies/glennon_tom.html
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    That's a bit ridiculous, but......it's also wicked cool! I'm surprised he hasn't turned into a router yet himself. The type of guy who gets a tattoo of an RJ-45 plug.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Well I really don't have any plans to become a CCIE for now (I mean a one-star CCIE)... but I think I really don't want to become a quadruple CCIE.

Unless....

Unless, of course, taking another CCIE once you've already got one is just a piece of cake (which I strongly doubt).

Now that I know there's a quintuple CCIE around (well actually two as the page says), guess we can let Morris slide. haha

2lbs.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Ricka182 wrote:
    The type of guy who gets a tattoo of an RJ-45 plug.

LoL...This guy has his career on Lock. From his resume', he has a few things going on. I can't imagine how much he is getting paid. Did I read Cisco's site right? It said only 2 people hold multiple CCIE certs?
    garv221 wrote:
    It said only 2 people hold multiple CCIE certs?

quintuple certs, it was.

2lbs.
    garv221 wrote:
    Ricka182 wrote:
    The type of guy who gets a tattoo of an RJ-45 plug.

LoL...This guy has his career on Lock. From his resume', he has a few things going on. I can't imagine how much he is getting paid. Did I read Cisco's site right? It said only 2 people hold multiple CCIE certs?

No...only 3% of CCIEs achieve a second CCIE.....On that site it says that there are 2 individuals that hold 5 CCIES....
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
    Ten9t6
    Thanks for clearing that up. Those numbers are pretty impressive. I see you have a CCIE...What doors has that opened for you?
    garv221 wrote:
    Ten9t6
    Thanks for clearing that up. Those numbers are pretty impressive. I see you have a CCIE...What doors has that opened for you?

Actually....both of those are written exams....the second part just carried over a line...... I am currently preparing for the labs...I will take the labs...hopefully before the new year....

As far as doors being opened..I am not sure, because I haven't been looking. I have a nice job that allows me to study and finish my degree...But after I pass both of those labs...It will be on...I will really be looking then..
    Kenny

You have alot of certs. Isn't it ON right now.. icon_wink.gif
    garv221 wrote:
    You have alot of certs. Isn't it ON right now.. icon_wink.gif

haha..It would be ..if I wanted it to....I am just relaxing at the moment....I had the job from hell for 2.5 years.....
    Kenny

• mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Wow. This guy should be working for Bill Gates or the FBI. I want to put a picture to this resume. My network + certification is like a pencil on his desk. These are the guys that beat you out at job interviews.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    mobri09 wrote:
    These are the guys that beat you out at job interviews.
    They don't go to job interviews, they interview companies ;)
    Webmaster wrote:
    mobri09 wrote:
    These are the guys that beat you out at job interviews.
    They don't go to job interviews, they interview companies ;)

Exactly....they work where they want.... And rightly so after earning those certs... icon_cool.gif
    Kenny

They probably haven't even noticed IT isn't booming anymore. icon_wink.gif
    2lbs wrote:
    Now that I know there's a quintuple CCIE around (well actually two as the page says), guess we can let Morris slide. haha
    Yeah, but I wonder if the quintuples can beat his rack. icon_wink.gif
    I was suprised his desk is so clean though... you can still see some wood. icon_lol.gif
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    I definitely give him tons of credit!

PS: The Rack Rules!
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MASTERS!!!!
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
    Johan wrote:
    Yeah, but I wonder if the quintuples can beat his rack.
    I was suprised his desk is so clean though... you can still see some wood.

I wonder how he keeps tack of what is where. He probably spends a good hour tracking a wire from one place to another. But his lab organization could be much neater than his desk. Who knows?

Scott made it clear that he didn't buy all that stuff once (notice the tons of routers he's got there). BTW, how many machine's have you got in your lab?

I'm going to start my "lab-for-life" this month. I don't own a single Cisco machine (just have two "borrowed" routers), but I'm going to buy that rack and start stacking on whatever I can get my hands on.

Anybody planning on starting his lab-for-life?

Note**: I'm going to keep my desk crystal clean. icon_wink.gif

2lbs.
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    I'm sure he gets headhunted all the time by companies with no interviews icon_eek.gif . I am really wondering what salarie he is on! icon_scratch.gif Maybe Webmaster could recruit this dude to start a CCIE Fourm for any budding CCIE's out there! icon_wink.gif

I noticed he didn't have his address on his resume icon_wink.gif ; I hope he has good house insurance! When the page loaded and I saw his lab I went icon_pale.gif I wonder if his family ever see him!! I thought I was good with my little lab in the basement with just 2 PC's.. he makes my lab look like nothing... icon_cry.gif

He is the man..... there is nothing more to say...

D-boy
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    This will give you an Idea of what he might make or does...

Rent-A-CCIE
    Emanon.com, Inc. offers a variety of consulting retainers known as Rent-A-CCIE to allow for network consultation or support based on an hourly, as-needed basis.

This service is a method of retaining the services of a highly trained network consultant without the necessity of having a full-time employee. Purchase blocks of hours, use them as you need. An hour here, a couple of hours there, when you need them, they will be there.

It's possible to plan ahead for upcoming projects where you may require services in the design phase, implementation phase and documentation phase of a project. As blocks of hours increase in size, the rate per hour drops, helping you plan for any sized project, big or small.

Rent-A-CCIE Levels:

icon_eek.gif 10 hours ($3,000)
    icon_eek.gif 25 hours ($6,250)
    icon_eek.gif 50 hours ($10,000)
    icon_eek.gif 100 hours ($17,500)
    icon_eek.gif Network Documentation Special ($9,800)
    icon_eek.gif Security Posture Assessment ($13,000)

http://www.emanon.com/rent-a-ccie.htm
  • hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    Holy crap! This guy probably speaks more binary than english. LOL.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    damn, i would pay him to teach me icon_eek.gif his resume is murderous for most anyone to compete against for any job. those racks are icon_eek.gif man i wonder does he have a social life
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • netheadnethead Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used to be on another forum with Scott Morris but he hasn't been around much recently. He has a fantastic knowledge though and the last I heard he was working on his CCIE - voice - his 5th CCIE track.

I don't know if its still the case. but of the quadruple CCIEs out there Scott used to be the only one not working for Cisco.

Also he is an example that you don't need a degree in Computing to get there - he studied journalism!

Great guy!
    "The time for talking is over. Now call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard, and we hit it fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign. "
    - Rimmer, Polymorph
  • Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    When these 2 quad CCIE's were born, the doctor had to sever the console cable.

One of those guys is a teacher for global.net training, wich is affiliated with the sybex cisco books.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The quad and quint CCIE's are definately insane. Having gotten that out of the way, there's something I've been meaning to say, for a long time. What we forget, a lot of times, is that all certs are basically the same thing, a way for you to show that you have the fundamental knowledge in that field of that technology. Someone mentioned that these guys probably think the second or third test is easy. Well. . . it's probably easier that time around, since they've been working, playing, living, breathing Cisco routers for that time.

What we really forget is that even the almighty CCIE is a starting point, a threshold. Once you cross it, you're on the path to a whole new world of experiences. A fresh-off-the-line CCIE will not be as knowledgable as a CCIE with ten years' experience, for example. My guess is that these guys who have all these certifications are well beyond that status the rest of us are trying so hard to get. Once upon a time, the A+ was intimidating to me, and now I'm on to MCSE. Once upon a time, reading and writing were difficult for me, now I rant and rave on message boards. It's all a matter of perspective. As was mentioned in the CCIE review, self-doubt and fear will kill you; and with the myth and lore surrounding the CCIE, having the attitude that the test is greater than you are will drive you into the ground before even opening your binder.

I guess the point of this rant is this, all certifications are things to strive for, and things to overshoot. You haven't finished when you get the CCIE, you've only just begun. Once you're at that level, there's probably as much to learn, if not more, once you've proven yourself. If it's any indication, it's like this in all fields. Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Super Mario Bros., is a genius on just about every level, and he loves what he does. He doesn't make games, he creates worlds, and the level he works at is so advanced, no school or certification, alone, could take you there. He's not a game developer, like these quad and quint CCIE's, he's an artist and a true master in his field. To be a master, you have to push beyond the limits, beyond what the tests measure.

(And yes, Webmaster is absolutely right. Once you've attained the kind of ranking of some of these uber-geeks: you don't go to job interviews and negotiate salaries, companies crawl to your doorstep and you command whatever salary you want.)

"Be the water, my friend."

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    I agree that it doesn't end after attaining any certification, and there's much more to learn beyond the certification than for an exam, but, I disagree with the following:
    What we forget, a lot of times, is that all certs are basically the same thing, a way for you to show that you have the fundamental knowledge in that field of that technology.
    I disagree in particular with 'fundamental', although you are right it has come to that in many cases. Certifications are often used as guides to learn the fundamental knowledge one would expect to apply in a job, before actually doing the job. As an extension of a degree or other education. That's not what they 'are' imho, and that's not how certifications (used to) work.

The CCIE is a good example. As the name says 'Certified Internetwork Expert'. This doesn't mean you have the 'fundamental' knowledge in the networking field (although it obviously implies it), it means you are an expert tested and certified by cisco to do things the recommended Cisco way, the way their products and technologies are supposed to work. It is experience and a formal education (and CompTIA certs) that show you have the 'fundamental' knowledge, a certification like CCIE allows you to distinguish yourself from the competition. It certifies you for what you actually can do and have done many times, not just what you know. Certifications such as MCSE have the same purpose, and would have a relatively equally high value if that was actually the case in the real world. ;)
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe we should just consider them a threat to the rest of us and eject them into space icon_twisted.gif .

Seriously, that is all so ridiculous.

I'm wondering if the guy with the full uber-rack (I've seen datacenters with less equimpent!) has ever had a girlfriend/boyfriend. That has to eat up some time!
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How many rockets do we need? :p
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looking at his qualifications (from the first post) I have to wonder how much of it actually applies to todays IT world. For example he lists MCSE NT 4.0. This now almost entirely irrelevant (yes I know its still out there but it really is dead knowledge) And CCIE dial-ISP? That sounds also like dead knowledge. Now I could be wrong as I do not know much about Cisco certs (yet) but after a while doesn't the knowledge you learn with Cisco become largely irrelevant such as MCSE NT and CNE 3 etc.

Now I am not saying that its not a great feat to achieve these things but I am thinking of actual relevance to todays IT knowledge. Sure it looks impressive but how useful is it?
    I can tell you...I recently met Scott. He is probably one of the smartest guys I have met. (IT Wise). He is not far from his 5th CCIE (voice) and I believe he is taking his JNCIE in December. We had some smart "Real World" Engineers in our class, and not one of them could ask a question that would stump him. Yes, ISP Dial is an older IE...but that also shows how long he has actually been an IE.

And he does use this knowledge...he does quite a bit of consulting and charges rates I wish I could come close to. If any of you sign up for the CCIE "group study" email list, you will see his name ..... a lot. He is very helpful.

I did two of his labs during the bootcamp, and I was ready to jump out a window..It made my head work for a week. icon_wink.gif
    Kenny