Questing on tag routes

brewoz40brewoz40 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
i'm messing around with route maps and am havig an issue with the current lab i have going. its a simple lab, 4 routers, routers 1,2,3 all direcetly connected with each other, with R4 connected to R3 only, all running EIGRP. I have a route map applied to the serial int on R3 that connects to R4, directing what path a packet takes as it comes in. That part of the route map works fine, desired paths are taken. the route map also has a set clause, to tag a prefix with the tag 50, this as far as i can tell is not working. Will the route not be tagged because it's being learned and advertised by EIGRP without getting processed by the route map?

Comments

• vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    brewoz40 wrote: »
    i'm messing around with route maps and am havig an issue with the current lab i have going. its a simple lab, 4 routers, routers 1,2,3 all direcetly connected with each other, with R4 connected to R3 only, all running EIGRP. I have a route map applied to the serial int on R3 that connects to R4, directing what path a packet takes as it comes in. That part of the route map works fine, desired paths are taken. the route map also has a set clause, to tag a prefix with the tag 50, this as far as i can tell is not working. Will the route not be tagged because it's being learned and advertised by EIGRP without getting processed by the route map?

Sounds like you're trying to apply tags using PBR instead of under the routing process - PBR is applied inbound only and I don't believe you can set tags using PBR. Typically, tags are applied in route-map referenced by the redistribution command. What do your route-map, EIGRP and Serial interface configs look like?

Use sh ip route x.x.x.x to verify tag insertion
    rtrA#show ip route 5.0.0.0
    Routing entry for 5.0.0.0/8
     Known via "ospf 1", distance 110, metric 1628
     Tag 555, type extern 1
     Last update from 10.1.1.2 on Serial0/1, 00:03:57 ago
     Routing Descriptor Blocks:
     * 10.1.1.2, from 2.2.2.2, 00:03:57 ago, via Serial0/1
       Route metric is 1628, traffic share count is 1

Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • brewoz40brewoz40 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's what i was trying to figure out, thanks for the info. I just needed someone to clarify if maybe what i was trying to do was correct or not. I was thinking the route wouldn't be tag since the route map wasn't being referenced through the routing process itself. If i wanted to tag one of the routes, would it be done on R4, maybe using a distribute list out and tag it that way?
  • mayhem87mayhem87 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    brewoz40 wrote: »
    That's what i was trying to figure out, thanks for the info. I just needed someone to clarify if maybe what i was trying to do was correct or not. I was thinking the route wouldn't be tag since the route map wasn't being referenced through the routing process itself. If i wanted to tag one of the routes, would it be done on R4, maybe using a distribute list out and tag it that way?
    Yep that will work with the distribute list. You can just do a match any route map and set the tag.