Options

Passed the SY0-301 today!

BlueEyedSamuraiBlueEyedSamurai Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all -

I took and passed the Security+ (SY0-301) today. This was the first exam I was not nervous at all for. Probably because I had taken the Network + last year so I had an understanding somewhat of the difficulty level. Plus I felt fully prepared.

For this exam I used Darril Gibson's CompTIA-Security-Certified-Ahead-SY0-301 book and the Professor Messer videos. Both of which I strongly recommend. I am passing the book on to co-workers so they too can use it.

Up next is the SSCP and SMFE (SecurityTube Metasploit Framework Expert Certification). I figured the SSCP would be mostly reading (and watching the CBTNuggets videos) and the SMFE would be mostly hands on. That way I could swing doing both at the same time. For the SSCP I again picked up Darril's book (thank you Darril).

No rest for the weary, time to start studying.

-Samurai
Always studying for something!

Comments

• Options
    chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
    Congrats! How long did you study for the cert?
  • Options
    BlueEyedSamuraiBlueEyedSamurai Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I studied about 6 weeks. I would have taken it sooner, but I had to travel for work.
    Always studying for something!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats! I am working towards security as well. My goal is 3 months or less, taking account with my work schedule.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congrats on the pass and glad to hear the book helped. Good luck on the SSCP. It's a little tougher, but with the Security+ in the rear view mirror, you're half way there.

Darril Gibson
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass!!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Contrats! Would you say this is harder or easier than N+?
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    tylerhetylerhe Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulation!
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, I must say I fully support your view of using Darril's study material, nothing in my library beats it! Best of luck for the SSCP, you cert path very closely resembles mine, I would very interested to hear what you think of the SSCP exam.

Cheers
    Steve
    The Wings of Technology