Options

Company paid training. Which would you choose?

kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
I have a bit of a dilemma. My work will pay for me to either do training or go to a tech show. So here are my choices: I can either get a year subscription to CBT Nuggets or I can go to MMS 2012: MMS 2012

I am torn up inside as to which I want to do. The MMS 2012 would be a huge benefit to me as we will be pushing out System Center 2012 as soon as it comes out and I will be the one managing it and everything that goes with it. I will be setup at the Venetian in Vegas in a suite all paid for and will get food/travel/and entertainment paid for to an extent.

At the same time I wanted the CBT Nugeets because it goes beyond just this one thing as I want to do the MCITP:SA/SSCP/CISSP and so on.

I really want to do both but have to choose one.

Which would you do?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've watched few CBT Nuggets and I'm not impressed. CCNA, CCNP are excellent, but MCITP, VCP, etc are ok.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have a bit of a dilemma. My work will pay for me to either do training or go to a tech show. So here are my choices: I can either get a year subscription to CBT Nuggets or I can go to MMS 2012: MMS 2012

I am torn up inside as to which I want to do. The MMS 2012 would be a huge benefit to me as we will be pushing out System Center 2012 as soon as it comes out and I will be the one managing it and everything that goes with it. I will be setup at the Venetian in Vegas in a suite all paid for and will get food/travel/and entertainment paid for to an extent.

At the same time I wanted the CBT Nugeets because it goes beyond just this one thing as I want to do the MCITP:SA/SSCP/CISSP and so on.

I really want to do both but have to choose one.

Which would you do?

For me it's a no brainer. MMS 2012!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I voted for MMS. I agree with dave330i about CBT nuggets being an OK resource, nothing super special about them. Removing the coolness factor (travel, Vegas, etc.) it is great to get away from the office and just focus on something. The best part is that 'something' is completely targeted towards your upcoming project.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Me personally, I'd go to MMS. In fact if things workout for me within the next couple weeks here, I may see you there. ;)
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    Me personally, I'd go to MMS. In fact if things workout for me within the next couple weeks here, I may see you there. ;)

That would be cool. I have never been to anything like this before so I have no idea what to expect. From reading about the trainings/labs though this is going to be pretty awesome.
  • Options
    apoole15apoole15 Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I really wanted the CBT package, I'd purchase that on my own dime and let the company spring for the MMS package.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have to concur... skip the CBT Nuggets... if you want it, do it on your own.

Seriously, CBT Nuggets has a deal where you can get complete access to their entire library for 24 hours for $24. How many days of the year would you access CBT Nuggets? If you are going to access it 83+ days a year, the annual subscription might make sense. If you are going to spend a couple days a month, it is far more frugal to pay $24 for each day you will access.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Please skip the nuggets, I saw that MMS 12 flyer in my inbox; it seems to be a good deal
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    That would be cool. I have never been to anything like this before so I have no idea what to expect. From reading about the trainings/labs though this is going to be pretty awesome.

I think the closest thing to something like this I've ever been to would have been the DoD PKI Conference that I went to back in 2003 at the Marriot World Center in Orlando Florida. That was really cool. I've worked with people who had the chance to go to other things like this, and they always seemed to have a blast.

If things I have in the works pan out for me, I could be going to things like MMS or TechEd regularly. ;) Only way I can go to these things if it is for work, can't do it on my own time/dime, family wouldn't like me spending my vacation doing that instead of taking them somewhere, lol.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I love CBTNuggets. But do the event. THe social networking, hands on time and simply the experience are worth more than nuggets.

Snag three of your friends and split the cost of CBTnuggets and you get both :)
    -Daniel
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Vegas trip = $2776
    CBT Nuggets yearly subscription = $1999

I honestly think that the Vegas trip is not only a better deal financially, but since it applies directly to what you are doing in your job, it will be money better spent. See if they will get you the CBT Nuggets later in the year or possibly next year, after the deployment so that you will have more time to focus on the extra training.
  • Options
    ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    Don't even have to think about it. I would take the MMS. I am always looking for a reason to get out of the office for a few days. icon_lol.gif