Options

Passed Security+, first coherent CompTIA cert

cownaetioncownaetion Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just wanted to note that I passed the exam this morning and was surprised with the questions. Unlike the A+ and Network+ certifications where your scratching your head at the questions cause their vague, the questions on the Security+ exam made sense (save one I think). I used Gibson's book (SY-301) and while this did cover almost everything on the exam, I found a few items in CompTIA Security+ Review Guide by James Stewart (Sybex), such as different types of attacks and viruses. Before I took the certification this morning I had practiced the questions in Gibson's book and thought they were easier (as the questions are coherent and make sense) than the usual and vague CompTIA format but was surprised that they were close to the exam.

For those yet to take it, the majority of questions were all centered around cryptology, secure protocols, authentication protocols, VPNs/VLANs, IDS/IPSes, and permissions, with a couple questions about the other objectives (i.e. forensics, incidents) here and there.

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the pass. Good luck on your next adventure.

Darril Gibson
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    cownaetion wrote: »
    Unlike the A+ and Network+ certifications where your scratching your head at the questions cause their vague, the questions on the Security+ exam made sense (save one I think).

Could it be that you got used to CompTIA wording or vagueness after two tests? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
    Nicely done. How long did you study for the cert?
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass! Good Job!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    cownaetioncownaetion Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Could it be that you got used to CompTIA wording or vagueness after two tests?

Hehe, touche! :D

Thanks for the support everyone. This site is the only source I scour when it comes to learning about the certifications, great site. Trying to visit it more than 'now and then' to help others out if possible.
    Nicely done. How long did you study for the cert?

I read Gibson's book in five days and did his practice tests. I was fairly familiar with some security concepts already so its not as if I'm a genius and absorbed and understood everything immediately in those five days without prior knowledge. In my opinion if you can score well on those exams I think you'll do just fine on the Security+. I had another book from Sybex, CompTIA Security+ Review Guide by Stewart, which I didn't read but bought to see if there was anything that the first book may have left out. The only material I found different in the review guide that Gibson's book didn't contain were the amount of attacks. I did not encounter any of them on the exam however so I'm not sure if they are being phased out.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    xxx45xxx45 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone just want to say I passed my security+ today and the only one who truly helped me was the Lord of this universe ALLAH subhan tala. I thank the almighty dearly from the bottom of my heart and also Professor Messer and this great site which I used for its practice test.

Thanks to everyone who helped.
  • Options
    Joseph HarlessJoseph Harless Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass.