what I/O Address and memory locations do i need to know?

davidhdavidh Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Which I/O addresses do i need to know for the test? There is a HUGE list in my A+ book by mike meyers, (the ibm original i/o address list) but im thinking that this list is more than i need to know. someone have a chart they could point me to?

and finally, the only default assigned dma addresses are 2: floppy controller and 4:dma controller, correct?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    If you haven't yet, get a copy of the A+ objectives from CompTIA.

You may reference HERE as well as the TechNotes.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • davidhdavidh Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    which i/o addresses did you memorize for the test? i saw i/o question for com ports and lpt ports, is that all you really need to know? it seems pretty unreasonable that someone should memorize all of those i/o addresses at the link you provided.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I'd say go for the I/O addresses corresponding to the common IRQ addresses. But more importantly: mess around with the in the Windows Device Manager to visually memorize some of the numbers and devices.

We also have a DMA/IRQ/IO quiz here, which can help memorize the most of them.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    davidh wrote:
    which i/o addresses did you memorize for the test? i saw i/o question for com ports and lpt ports, is that all you really need to know? it seems pretty unreasonable that someone should memorize all of those i/o addresses at the link you provided.

Not really, no I don't.

As Webmaster suggested, play around with Device manager and you'll become more familar with things.

It's not tough when you use them, but it does take a little time.

There are likely other links out there, I merely posted one you may find helpful. It may not be the best, it may be, I was trying to provide you with information to your question. icon_wink.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • davidhdavidh Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    took the exam today and i dont think there were any io questions on the test (maybe a com question), but id recommend memorizing com, lpt, and ide io addresses.