Should I put it on my resume?

tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
I have to get this certification through WGU in the next couple months. Should I put it on a resume even though it doesn't really pertain to IT? I ask because it kind of makes CompTIA seem like really easy tests (which they are, I know) when they see 4 of them on a resume and only 1 or 2 Microsoft/Cisco. Would I be better off just putting my A+ N+ and S+? Thanks for your input.

Comments

• EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Uh, how does Project+ not pertain to IT?

I would, project management skills are in demand.
  • tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    Everyone wrote: »
    Uh, how does Project+ not pertain to IT?

I would, project management skills are in demand.

Well, none of the study material I've read pertains to it really. The skills may be in demand but I don't want to have the any project manager duties...
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    It may not exactly be technical, but it does still pertain to IT.

You've answered your own question. If you don't want to do project management work, or be considered for work that involves it, don't put it on your resume.
  • tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    Everyone wrote: »
    It may not exactly be technical, but it does still pertain to IT.

You've answered your own question. If you don't want to do project management work, or be considered for work that involves it, don't put it on your resume.

Okay, just wanted to hear it from someone else instead of myself I guess. Thanks for your reply.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tr1x wrote: »
    Well, none of the study material I've read pertains to it really. The skills may be in demand but I don't want to have the any project manager duties...

How do you know you'll have the project manager duties? This certification could open opportunities for you (like other certifications) if you're stuck somewhere.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do what you feel like. I would put it on mine, but I like Project Management and Business Analyst work.
  • techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    tr1x wrote: »

I would say that if anything, it can open up team lead opportunities for you, since you obviously would know the importance of communication and other leadership fundamentals. Also, in Security+ you probably read about risk management which is a big deal in project management.
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    I would definitely put that on a resume.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Put it on there, for sure. It adds value.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • SubnetZeroSubnetZero Member Posts: 124
    Agree go ahead and put it on there you'll make yourself more marketable.

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, several electrons were severely inconvenienced
    :cool:
  • newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    How can you escape project management in this day and age? Everything is projectized, you can't run!