Options

Taking Sec+ on Feb 25

chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
After getting through the Network+ I am trying to keep the momentum going. Right now I am reading Darrill Gibson's SY0-301 Study Guide (getting into ch 4 tonight). I also have the [FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]SY0-301 Practice Test Questions for the kindle, measure up practice tests (got 6 months online from school for free), and cbt nuggets videos. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]I plan going through the book then watch the videos while hitting practice sets. [/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    WaltahWaltah Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the sy0-301 mobile app is great as well and only 4.99
    A.A.B - Computer Information Systems (Cisco)
    A.A.S - Cyber Transport Systems (3D1X2)
    In Progress:
    B.S. - Management Information Systems :study:
  • Options
    chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
    Since I already have the practice test questions book do you think the mobile app is overkill? I thought they where pretty much the same questions just in a format for your phone?
  • Options
    cownaetioncownaetion Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After just recently taking the test, I would just suggest studying the material in Gibson's book and understand all the concepts for each section. You should have absolutely no problem passing the exam by doing this. The book has two exams, the assessment and practice, which I didn't take till after I read the book. If you take the practice exams more than once, try to give yourself a waiting time of at least a week to help remove the fresh imprint the exam has left in your memory. I just signed up for the SSCP in April, and will probably be doing the same thing: taking the practice exam in February, once in March, and once more before my test (along with any other tests).
  • Options
    WaltahWaltah Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cownaetion wrote: »
    After just recently taking the test, I would just suggest studying the material in Gibson's book and understand all the concepts for each section. You should have absolutely no problem passing the exam by doing this. The book has two exams, the assessment and practice, which I didn't take till after I read the book. If you take the practice exams more than once, try to give yourself a waiting time of at least a week to help remove the fresh imprint the exam has left in your memory. I just signed up for the SSCP in April, and will probably be doing the same thing: taking the practice exam in February, once in March, and once more before my test (along with any other tests).

i re-tested myself tonight on the pre-test and final test (both 100 question tests) and have absolutely no issues identifying the best answers and can plainly see why the others are wrong. tomorrow morning im going to hit up the end of chapter quizzes before i leave to go test. i feel confident in my knowledge from this book but i dont know what to expect when i sit for the test.

wish me luck
    A.A.B - Computer Information Systems (Cisco)
    A.A.S - Cyber Transport Systems (3D1X2)
    In Progress:
    B.S. - Management Information Systems :study:
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Waltah wrote: »
    i re-tested myself tonight on the pre-test and final test (both 100 question tests) and have absolutely no issues identifying the best answers and can plainly see why the others are wrong. tomorrow morning im going to hit up the end of chapter quizzes before i leave to go test. i feel confident in my knowledge from this book but i dont know what to expect when i sit for the test.

wish me luck
    Good luck. Let us know how you did.

Darril Gibson
  • Options
    kgifford1kgifford1 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello, This is my first time here. I am an IT professional (Microsoft Sys Admin), I am currently unemployed and will be taking my CompTIA Security+ class this Saturday at 9am. I took a 4 week course to help me and I also purchased Darril Gibson's book. HOWEVER.. I realized too late that I purchased the SY0-201 book instead of the 301 book. I have EXTREME test anxiety, though I did very well in my class I'm finding that I'm failing all my practice tests!! Does anyone know what differences there are with the 201 vs 301 book? Or, does anyone know the best thing or online practice tests I should be taking to finishing cramming for the test? It is now Thursday night, my test is Saturday morning at 9am! HELP!!!!
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    kgifford1 wrote: »
    Hello, This is my first time here. I am an IT professional (Microsoft Sys Admin), I am currently unemployed and will be taking my CompTIA Security+ class this Saturday at 9am. I took a 4 week course to help me and I also purchased Darril Gibson's book. HOWEVER.. I realized too late that I purchased the SY0-201 book instead of the 301 book. I have EXTREME test anxiety, though I did very well in my class I'm finding that I'm failing all my practice tests!! Does anyone know what differences there are with the 201 vs 301 book? Or, does anyone know the best thing or online practice tests I should be taking to finishing cramming for the test? It is now Thursday night, my test is Saturday morning at 9am! HELP!!!!

Welcome to the forums.

The 201 book covers the objectives for the 201 exam and the 301 book covers the objectives for the 301 exam so the differences are largely related to the differences in the objectives. This blog article outlines some of the differences: Security+ SY0-201 and SY0-301 Differences.

Before the 301 study guide came out, many people used the 201 study guide and 301 practice test questions and successfully passed the exam. This post (http://www.techexams.net/forums/security/74447-darrils-updated-301-test-prep-question-kindle-book.html) gives some information on the practice test questions book that was updated for the Kindle.

When doing any practice tests, it's a good idea to read the explanations to fully understand the concept. Ideally, you should be able to look at any question and know why the correct answers are correct, and why the incorrect answers are incorrect. This way, no matter how CompTIA words the questions, you'll be able to answer it correctly.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thank you so much. I'm cramming and cramming tonight! Will let you know how I did!!!
  • Options