URGENT HELP NEEDED!! Icons won't show up in Control Panel.

Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
Hi guys, I'm troubleshooting a computer and the icons won't show up in either Control Panel, C:, or any of C:'s subdirectories. I know they exist, because I can maneuver through them with the arrow keys and see their descriptions on the taskbar. What can I do to fix this problem? I have approximately 24 hours from now to fix this problem. Thank you.
P.s. No, tweakui is not installed on this pc.
Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University

Comments

• mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Try running system file checker first. That is SFC at the command prompt. A service might be disabled, so go to services under administrator tools and check that out. If not the computer might call for a restore.
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Forgot to mention it's Windows ME, so so much for restore =(
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ME has system restore icon_wink.gif

I suggest that you try a spyware sweep first - amazing what some of them can do.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    sorry friend, already tried that. How can I enable services without sfc? for some reason, it won't run at command prompt or at run.
    sfc was not included in Win ME - they thought it would not be necessary after Restore was included.

Have you tried a spyware scan?
    www.supercross.com
  • spudnikspudnik Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you could search for *.cpl (control panel extension) you will need to specify searching in system files and hidden files, the names are pretty much self explanitory icon_confused.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Tweakui has a "rebuild icons" feature that is very useful for this situation. You can also try changing the Display Properties to "Large Icon" and seeing if that restores them. This settings is found on the Appearances tab by clicking the Effects button.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    There's a knowledge base article about missing control panel icons for older NT version. Not sure it will work for ME, but it suggests to simply extract and copy the .CPL files from the installation CD. Might be worth a try.
    jdmurray wrote:
    Tweakui has a "rebuild icons" feature that is very useful for this situation.

The problem with that is when the TweakUi icon does not show up either icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    RussS wrote:
    The problem with that is when the TweakUi icon does not show up either icon_wink.gif
    Then start it from the command window.
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    Did you ever solve this problem?
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE