Easy exam??

abravesabraves Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Was wondering your input on the new Server+. I kept hearing from everyone that this exam was hard. I took it last Wednesday and I found it VERY easy to be honest with you. I studied for about 2 hours just reviewing RAID configuration and SCSI. Thats the 2 biggest topics that wound up being on the test as well. I thought this exam was easier than the Net+ and the A+. What do you guys think??
B.J. Crowder
Computer Systems Technology II Instructor
Interim Director of Technology
President - Security Systems Consulting, LLC

Comments

• TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It depends, I see that you are a technology instructor which means that you probably stay current on all the new technologies. CompTIA tests are also random draws for the questions, you may have gotten an easy test. If you look at the syllabus for the exam you will see what was all bleeding edge technologies 6 to 10 months ago on it. S-ATA, USB2, S-SCSI, faster firewire etc. Most people have not heard of serial suzzy and some not even Serial ATA. Many think PCI-E is a faster parallel bus, You could have gotten questions on any of those which you probably knew but are not on A+.

Anyway if you thought it was easier than A+ I don't know how to grok that, since I keep reading about people failing it the first time; unless they recently lowered the passing score requirement or pulled some of the harder questions out. Many say that was done to Security+ to raise the pass rate. Even though I passed the first Server+ right after it came out, I took the new beta just to see what had changed and thought the difficulty level was higher; shrug. I did not particularly study for either version but these tests were designed for persons that actually work with servers on a daily basis for a couple of years. I would still advise people not to underestimate this test because of its potential breath of knowledge requirement.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    TheShadow wrote:
    I would still advise people not to underestimate this test because of its potential breath of knowledge requirement.

Great advice!!
  • abravesabraves Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Shadow,

You made several good points. Maybe I did just get luck of the draw on some easier questions. I do work with servers on a daily basis, so I'm sure practical experience makes it a lot easier. To be honest with you, I'm starting to get a little discouraged with the whole certification process. I really like what Microsoft and Cisco have done with their exams and gone towards a "simulation" type questions. However, many CompTIA exams, you do not have to "know" how to do anything. In many cases, you read a book, study some sample questions and call yourself A+, Net+, Security+, etc. but have NO CLUE how to do any of the work in the real world.

By the way.....you mentioned the scoring of the server+. I noticed the scoring is different than what CompTIA suggests on their site. Their site says 75% or more....the passing score is actually 615....whether that equals 75% or not I don't know. Thanks for your advice. On to Security+ and 70-291 for my MCSA.

Anyone have an opinion on e-Biz+??? Is it worth the money for the cert?
    B.J. Crowder
    Computer Systems Technology II Instructor
    Interim Director of Technology
    President - Security Systems Consulting, LLC
  • milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
    http://www.comptia.org/about/pressroom/get_pr.aspx?prid=631

"Oakbrook Terrace, Ill., July 5, 2005 – The Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) today announced that the English-language version of its CompTIA e-Biz+™ certification examination will be permanently retired on December 31, 2005."

They made no mention of a new version of the exam, so if you are going for e-Biz+ I think you will either have to do it before Dec 31, or learn Japanese.

Needless to say, I don't think e-Biz+ will be worth much after Dec.