Options

Question about computer accounts in 2008

themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
I have 5 window XP computers that very old (pre 2000). Problem is that they use software that only runs on windows xp - and it won't work on xp mode or vmware (don't ask). The software is being phased out in 2 months. My boss sold them on 5 new computers without thinking the software problem through. Now they want them and don't want to wait till the software is phased out and they can use the Windows 7 the new computers come with. My solution is to 1 to 1 copy the drives to a VHD file then dual boot the new computers.

But... here is my question - how does the computer account work in Windows server? Let me try to explain - so User 1 has computer 1. Computer 1 is joined to the domain and user 1 has their desktop, settings, etc on said computer. Now if copy the drive and they are booting on a new PC but same installation would they still be on "computer 1"? Or do I need to rejoin the domain once on the PC and then I have to rebuild everyone's profile? The software installed on these computers is very very picky and everything to remain the same almost otherwise it breaks.

Hopefully that made sense. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have 5 window XP computers that very old (pre 2000). Problem is that they use software that only runs on windows xp - and it won't work on xp mode or vmware (don't ask). The software is being phased out in 2 months. My boss sold them on 5 new computers without thinking the software problem through. Now they want them and don't want to wait till the software is phased out and they can use the Windows 7 the new computers come with. My solution is to 1 to 1 copy the drives to a VHD file then dual boot the new computers.

But... here is my question - how does the computer account work in Windows server? Let me try to explain - so User 1 has computer 1. Computer 1 is joined to the domain and user 1 has their desktop, settings, etc on said computer. Now if copy the drive and they are booting on a new PC but same installation would they still be on "computer 1"? Or do I need to rejoin the domain once on the PC and then I have to rebuild everyone's profile? The software installed on these computers is very very picky and everything to remain the same almost otherwise it breaks.

Hopefully that made sense. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Copying the drive & dual booting will not work. Different hardware (which is most likely not fully compatible with XP) Best bet is to have them remote desktop into their old machines to access the software.

Curious to why VMware won't work, care to get into a little more detail?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Vmware will work unless they use custom hardware, as far as I'm concerned. I can't imagine how dual-booting could possibly be better than virtualization (again, assuming no custom hardware).

You could try a hardware-independent backup/imaging program, such as ShadowProtect, but it could be challenging to get Windows 2000 drivers working on new hardware.

Almost any form of virtualization/HIR will lose the NIC settings and you'll have to reset them. Same with serial ports and the like, generally speaking.

I'm not sure what your concern is with the computer accounts. Whether you are dual-booting or virtualizing, they are separate computers as far as the operating system is concerned. Windows does not know or care that they are on the same physical computer. The only identifying characteristic is the MAC address on the NIC, and that's only if you'd dual-boot them. Users can have multiple computers and vice versa. It should not affect the software or the users' experience negatively. The only exception is if you are doing full profile redirection both on the new (Win7) and old (Win2K) OSs simultaneously, which could have some quirky results).
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    So that idea is out. Why will the software won't work? That is a good question. Software maker will not answer any questions as the the software in ? was EOL 10 years ago. The support line for the company will not support it if virtual ether. They told me point blank the software will not work in a virtual setting and they will not help if it breaks. Problem is the software is basically the backbone of the company, without it they don't work. It works now in XP and if it breaks they can get some help but if we virtualize it they are cut off any support - and I have no idea how it works.

The way I understand it has something to do with permissions. The software requires some quirky permissions to the server and in a virtual setting the permissions just don't work. So I guess my last option is to try the RDP solution. I have room to set up the PCs - just seems a waste though. Software that is causing the issue will be gone in 2 months, upgraded to a web based solution.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As wasteful as the RDP setup may be, consider that a dual boot or virtual solution would probably take 2+ hours per PC for a very short-term system. Two months is not so bad.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    As wasteful as the RDP setup may be, consider that a dual boot or virtual solution would probably take 2+ hours per PC for a very short-term system. Two months is not so bad.

+1 on this. Also, ease of use. Not sure how technical the users are but having to close out of all their information (email, documents, etc) reboot, boot into Windows, then use the software seems like a headache I wouldn't want.
  • Options
    Well I went ahead and set up the RDP solution. Took about 3 hours total for 3 computers. Now I need to figure out printers... This company has some wacked up stuff. Users have printers, servers have printers, everyone wants access to every printer, etc etc. Doesn't help its a financial company so everything has to be locked down physical and logically. Still haven't figured out their weird drive encryption system that has to be put on the new computers sooner than later.