Deleted a blackhole vlan with all my ports in it. How to recover

kojack3175kojack3175 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey

Ok...It's late this side of the world and whilst working on my lab i did something stupid and the very second i hit enter ....twas to late. So...How can i recover from this? As the title says ALL my ports were in a blackhole vlan as i was trying out something.*

Btw its a 3550 switch

Rgds

Comments

• alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Did you save the new config ?

If not just reload and don't save.

or Is the old config still in startup-config ?
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kojack3175 wrote: »
    Hey

Ok...It's late this side of the world and whilst working on my lab i did something stupid and the very second i hit enter ....twas to late. So...How can i recover from this? As the title says ALL my ports were in a blackhole vlan as i was trying out something.*

Btw its a 3550 switch

Rgds

if a copy start run doesn't get it, then use the interface range command to apply what ever port level config you need to back to the ports and recreate the VLAN
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    vinbuck wrote: »
    if a copy start run doesn't get it, then use the interface range command to apply what ever port level config you need to back to the ports and recreate the VLAN

You wouldn't want to do copy start run for something like this, you want to use "configure replace".
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    What mode is VTP in?

If transparent, then yes.... the posts above where you can recover from startup config or reload without saving the configuration will work, assuming you have console access to the device, IP access via another VLAN or have someone onsite to reboot.... (however seeing as you mention all your ports are in this VLAN.. the IP access is unlikely)

If Server mode - then your VLANs won't be in the startup configuration for recovery.... do you still have access to a client or another server in the same VTP domain where you can push out a new VTP version down this switch?

Failing that.... then I guess you have to console in and fix it up.... don't worry, as long as you learn from your mistakes! :)

-- A

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ColbyG wrote: »
    You wouldn't want to do copy start run for something like this, you want to use "configure replace".

Wow...didn't know about that one and just did some reading up on it...pretty neat. Thanks for the tip.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...