Options

Server 2008 R2 Question

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Afternoon people, Firstly I apoligise if this is a Noobish problem I am experiencing.

I am dabbling with Server 2008 R2 currently I have a dell Powerdge hooked up to a Netgear switch which are both isolated from the main network ( no routers connect just server to switch)

Server Credentials:

Computer name: Shinobi1
Domain: shinobi.jamies.com
I.P Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0 ( No router connected)

Installed, Active Directory Domain Services, DHCP Server ( Which is working), DNS Server

When I hook up up a laptop to the switch DHCP is working and I can ping the server using the I.P address, when I try and ping the Laptop from the server by I.P address it times out, any ideas?

I want to eventually use this test rig to setup WDS

Many Thanks :)
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Is the laptop's firewall ON? Which ip is it getting?
  • Options
    Hey thanks for the help, the firewall on the laptop stops ping request getting through from the server, do I need to add a exception or just turn it off since I havent got a router connected anyways.

• Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If the enviroment is not connected to the internet, then you can just turn it off. Most major companies do not use the windows firewall and turn it off with group policy while the computer is on the company's domain.

If you still want to have it turned on you can allow an exception for ICMP echo requests.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    Many Thanks Odysseyelite :) very informative