Options

CCNA 640-607 Ending in September......

Todd1225Todd1225 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
All, this was taken from the Cisco Networking Academy Webpage:

CCNA Certification Exam Revisions Update
In October 2002 Cisco announced via CNAMS that the CCNA certification exam that maps to CCNA Version 2.1.4 will be available to Academy students and instructor until December 31, 2003. This same exam will retire for the non-Academy community prior to that date.

In an effort to ease the transition from CCNA Version 2.1.4 to CCNA Version 3.0 for students and instructors, Cisco has extended the life of the CCNA Certification exam that maps to Version 2.1.4 of the curriculum until March 31, 2004 instead of December 31, 2003.

Specific details on this process will be forthcoming.
Sent: 05/12/2003 10:50 PM

Seems like there are conflicting dates, or is the later date only for those that attended the Networking Academy Program?
Todd Baugh
Aspiring Network Tech

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The first date (December 31) also applied only to Net academy students, the second part seems to be an update of the first part.

So now the final date for Network Academy students and instructors is March 31. For the rest, the CCNA 640-607 exam will be available untill 30 September this year.
  • Options
    kai920kai920 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    The first date (December 31) also applied only to Net academy students, the second part seems to be an update of the first part.

So now the final date for Network Academy students and instructors is March 31. For the rest, the CCNA 640-607 exam will be available untill 30 September this year.

I'd rather take the 607 as opposed to the new 801 exam since I already have the Sybex CCNA Study Guide, 3rd Ed. by Todd Lammle.

If I registered before Sept 30, how much time can pass before I have to write the exam? ie. can I take it in Jan of 2004?
  • Options
    mxslmsmxslms Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cisco says the last day to "register" for the test is 9/30/03. If you are registering through prometric I know that you can't schedule a test date any later than 8 weeks in advance. So I think that you could take the 640-607 anytime within the 8 week period following 9/30 as long as you register by 9/30. That would cover you through November but I am not positive about this.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It don't matter how many time of the revision of the exam. Still CCNA... so people shall studying hard and remember those OSI.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    kai920kai920 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Judging by the end of the first paragraph below, the last date to take 640-607 is Sept 30.
    => New CCNA Exam
    On June 24, 2003, Cisco Systems, Inc. announced three
    enhancements to the CCNA[r] (Cisco Certified Network Associate)
    Program, including a new two-step exam approach, revisions to
    the existing CCNA exam, and the option for candidates to apply
    one of the new exams for CCNA recertification. The CCNA 640-607
    exam will retire on September 30, 2003.

CCNA certification candidates may either take the CCNA 640-801
    exam (available on June 30, 2003) or the INTRO 640-821 (currently
    offered as beta exam 641-821) and ICND 640-811 (available on
    June 30, 2003) exams. The new ICND exam also qualifies for
    recertification, providing a new option for CCNA certified
    individuals.

The most important change is that the CCNA exam now covers the
    material of two courses, not just one. With coverage from the
    INTRO and ICND courses, CCNA candidates will need to master two
    sets of networking topics for CCNA exam success.

I have access to CBT Nuggets' CCNA Package. Any comments in general on this package? Anyone ever use them? Link

Also, between the Sybex book by T. Lammle and the Cisco CCNA Exam guide by W. Odom, which is the better book? If I were to tackle this, I'd want to stick to just one. Concensus seems to say that Lammle's book is the better of the two - do you guys agree?

I really would prefer to take one exam as opposed to two (better money wise & time wise), but would it be cutting it close if I started studying for it now. What do you guys think - is it possible to study for CCNA in a couple of months? This would mean going through one of the above books, CBT Nuggets, and router simulations.