Does this sound like a good plan? If not please advise.

tonyg1tonyg1 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

Well, I would like a little advice if this sounds like a good plan... I have no job experience besides a few years being a computer tech back in 1996-1997. So I know I cannot just get a cert or B.S. and get a job especially without experience.
I am married with two children which means I need my full time job which is nothing computer related. I would love to be able to get a part time job or volunteer but not an option.

I do know I would like to get into security and eventually forensics.

I thought to bypass the comptia a+ cert as it is only valid for three years. Instead I thought to take network+ and security plus+ to get my feet wet. I do know alot of the a+ already just am not going to take the test.

Does this sound like a good plan that can land me a job?
Network+, Security+, SSCP, CISSP I thought of even going to WGU for a b.s. in security as well on top of the above. thank you for your time.

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Network + and Security + expire as well.

My opinion is deskside support and helpdesk don't really care about specific certs as long as you have something that shows them on paper you aren't a complete noob. Look at it from there eyes, (Is this a high risk candidate to bring into our environment)?

If security is what you like then security is what you should go after. Doesn't make much sense to me to get A+ or N+ if you want to focus on security. Get security + it's a great ice breaker and there is a great book that 95% of the forum has used to get passing grades on the exam. (Just search the security + forum and you'll find it).

Your certification plan looks solid. SSCP, CISSP, and don't forget about the CASP. All really awesome certifications, but that is a bit off.

Don't just limit yourself to help desk jobs. There are entry level security jobs out there. Ones that just set up user accounts and deactivate accounts, even do some troubleshooting with different systems and account management. It's a good stepping stone to launch into your career.

Good luck
  • tonyg1tonyg1 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Would it not help to have the network+ though, since I have no network experience?

For some reason, I feel that I need to know alot more before just jumping into security. Not sure why I feel like that I guess I just want to know my stuff inside out. Maybe I am just to worried about doing this in a correct way even though there may not be a correct way. Maybe just jumping in is the key.

I tried to go to a night school after work for Electronic's and boy was that a mess. The school turned out to be a paper mill and i wasted 6,000 dollars. The classes barely touched on the basics and some classes had alot more material to learn even though the class ended. I just dont want to make that mistake again.
  • KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    You stated that you have no IT experience with that when an employer is scanning your resume for what is most likely going to be a entry level IT job due to no experience they may be looking for a key word like A+. Who cares if it drops off in three years it opens doors for you just don't renew it by then you won't need it.

If I were you to get the most bang for your buck and to go in the direction it looks like you want to go I would go A+ Security+ and CCENT. I didn't think the CCENT really carried that much weight but it does and it takes about the same amount of study time if I had to do it over again I would of passed on the Net+ and done the CCENT.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tonyg1 wrote: »
    Would it not help to have the network+ though, since I have no network experience?

For some reason, I feel that I need to know alot more before just jumping into security. Not sure why I feel like that I guess I just want to know my stuff inside out. Maybe I am just to worried about doing this in a correct way even though there may not be a correct way. Maybe just jumping in is the key.

I tried to go to a night school after work for Electronic's and boy was that a mess. The school turned out to be a paper mill and i wasted 6,000 dollars. The classes barely touched on the basics and some classes had alot more material to learn even though the class ended. I just dont want to make that mistake again.

You don't need a certification to learn networking. You can read about it, watch videos, etc. Learning TCP/IP and other networking priniciples and protocols can be learned.
    I was going to ask about the ccent. Maybe that is the way to go then a+ security + and ccent then go for the SSCP, CISSP? Guess I get started this weekend :O) thank you guys very much for the help on this I feel a confident now...
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Dont forget to check out the free videos with Professor Messer . He has videos for A+, N+, Sec + and also Win 7 I believe. So while you read, you can watch and learn as well. Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Microsoft Certification Training

Also, Learn Smart (aka Prep Logic) has their study guides on sale through today 27 Jan 11 for a 1.00. I wouldnt use them as a sole study guide, but its good information as well. So the two A+ exams, the N+ and Sec+ will run you less than $5.00. They are all PDFs. Occasionally they put their audio guides on sale as well. http://www.learnsmartsystems.com

Oh, and give them a Google Voice number when you fill out the information. Otherwise they will bombard you with sales calls.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hello everyone,

Well, I would like a little advice if this sounds like a good plan... I have no job experience besides a few years being a computer tech back in 1996-1997. So I know I cannot just get a cert or B.S. and get a job especially without experience.
    I am married with two children which means I need my full time job which is nothing computer related. I would love to be able to get a part time job or volunteer but not an option.

I do know I would like to get into security and eventually forensics.

I thought to bypass the comptia a+ cert as it is only valid for three years. Instead I thought to take network+ and security plus+ to get my feet wet. I do know alot of the a+ already just am not going to take the test.

Does this sound like a good plan that can land me a job?
    Network+, Security+, SSCP, CISSP I thought of even going to WGU for a b.s. in security as well on top of the above. thank you for your time.

The biggest mistake people make is to hold off until they have completed a certification track. Back in 2002 there were many people with a long cert list and no job. People with little or no certs got hired. You will work for those people when you get a job..

Apply for jobs now while you are studying. Get your desire and commitment across when you make phonecalls, visit sites, send emails or letters. Skills can be learned. No certification will give you the attitude to make someone want to hire you.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    CISSP is a long ways off for you. 5 years of relevant work experience required before you can get it. Yeah yeah, a year or so can be waived... still years off for someone with 0 experience. SSCP only needs 1 year. Security+ is a good place to start as you don't have to have any experience to get it.

Point is, you'll have to go through a few other IT jobs before you can get into Security and eventually Forensics.
  • hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    use the professor messer stuff listed above and also the a+ and net+ on cbt nuggats talk alot about security

CBT IT Training Videos Online, Certification and Education | CBT Nuggets
    Yes, I am aware of professor messer. I was using his videos and website when i started to get into a+ which i had hoped to have finished before the cert was no longer for life. I never made the deadline. I got the security+ and network + books from a friend who is not using them anymore plus he had the cd's with them too. I am going to give them back to him but he said as long as i need them to use them. I am going to start there for a while and then apply like suggested in other posts.
    in thi
    I just do not know how to shake the feeling that I will never get anywhere in this field...

I love computers though, i do know a bit about them i just feel like this---Its like a language there is the formal way to speak and then there is slang-- I feel i know the slang just need to become formalized :O)

I have four pc's I put together from scratch from old computers in my home plus a laptop, I even got a linksys wrt 160n router that i was able to upgrade the firmware to dd-wrt and have messed with all the settings for days. Once i got a feel for it I went ahead and took my D-link 615 c1 router upgraded to dd-wrt and made that an AP since my lower level of my house has plaster walls which screws my signal strength but now it is excellent :O)
  • korbaskorbas Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I am aware of professor messer. I was using his videos and website when i started to get into a+ which i had hoped to have finished before the cert was no longer for life. I never made the deadline. I got the security+ and network + books from a friend who is not using them anymore plus he had the cd's with them too. I am going to give them back to him but he said as long as i need them to use them. I am going to start there for a while and then apply like suggested in other posts.
    in thi
    I just do not know how to shake the feeling that I will never get anywhere in this field...

I love computers though, i do know a bit about them i just feel like this---Its like a language there is the formal way to speak and then there is slang-- I feel i know the slang just need to become formalized :O)

I have four pc's I put together from scratch from old computers in my home plus a laptop, I even got a linksys wrt 160n router that i was able to upgrade the firmware to dd-wrt and have messed with all the settings for days. Once i got a feel for it I went ahead and took my D-link 615 c1 router upgraded to dd-wrt and made that an AP since my lower level of my house has plaster walls which screws my signal strength but now it is excellent :O)

Find a nonprofit that needs IT work. Volunteer for them and knock their socks off...they'll think you're Superman. Get some helpdesk or similar job and do something resume-worthy. Now you have enthusiastic references for later on.