What constitution?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Its a proposed bill. All kinds of goofy bills get proposed.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Prison Planet.com » Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA
    http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2012/01/20120125acta.pdf

If it doesn't piss you off that some idiot would even propose that bill? Couple with a few other pieces of legislation that have come out over the years we are truly headed to a police state.

I am taking a class on the constitution right now and it just blows my mind how far the government is stretching.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Let's face it, Americans need to start paying attention to what is being done out there. Most people would not have known about SOPA/PIPA if it wasn't for the likes of Google, Wiki, etc. But let's not think they are the ones we should trust to keep our interests in their hearts. If it wasn't for the fact that it would have impacted their business, they wouldn't have cared. Yes a lot of things do get proposed, but they do it because they know some how it will slip through the cracks. There is an app that will tell you everything done in Congress and it's amazing the stupid things they propose/debate. Now at the risk of sounding like a tinfoil hat guy, seems mighty convenient that they keep pumping through stupid proposals/emotional issues during periods of heated issues being discussed/rammed down our throats. Weapons of mass distraction, just like TV, Rome started the games to keep the commoners out of politics and blind to what was going on. Getting worse every day...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

I'm guessing that the legislature hasn't even considered what the cost of storing this data will be. Yes, this kind of thing does anger me a bit. Americans really do need to keep a closer eye on what is going on. It's often easier to watch at the state level though, because Congress loves to stuff extra things in to bills that you usually don't find out about until it's passed.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Prison Planet.com » Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA
    http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2012/01/20120125acta.pdf

If it doesn't piss you off that some idiot would even propose that bill? Couple with a few other pieces of legislation that have come out over the years we are truly headed to a police state.

I am taking a class on the constitution right now and it just blows my mind how far the government is stretching.

That's an international treaty? It wasn't some US only bill. The problem was some countries were pretty openly pirating stuff, it was so bad that nobody knew what was legit software. I'm not sure what legal rights software developers had in going after countries that do nothing about companies pirating their software for resale especially China.
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    That's an international treaty? It wasn't some US only bill. The problem was some countries were pretty openly pirating stuff, it was so bad that nobody knew what was legit software. I'm not sure what legal rights software developers had in going after countries that do nothing about companies pirating their software for resale especially China.

This is it in a nutshell. In fact it attempts to address the same issue PIPA and SOPA did (do). It's a serious issue in some countries with companies loosing tons on titles of all sorts, which in the end, we the consumer end up paying for. The problem is the amount of freedom they are giving finger-pointers and taking away from anyone who has a website. There is no system of checks and balances, just allowable witch hunts. Granted there needs to be a way to address violations in countries like China who do not act on copyright infringement and where the rest of the world cannot block the counterfeiting.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you torrent?
    Do you torrent?

Nope. No news groups either. I figure if I like something I should help invest in its development.

• BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Article over on computerworld.com that says the bill has been pulled.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    onesaint wrote: »
    This is it in a nutshell. In fact it attempts to address the same issue PIPA and SOPA did (do). It's a serious issue in some countries with companies loosing tons on titles of all sorts, which in the end, we the consumer end up paying for. The problem is the amount of freedom they are giving finger-pointers and taking away from anyone who has a website. There is no system of checks and balances, just allowable witch hunts. Granted there needs to be a way to address violations in countries like China who do not act on copyright infringement and where the rest of the world cannot block the counterfeiting.

The rest of the world is most of the world, and short of money they have no interest in paying cash for downloads or western prices for much else.
    Turgon wrote: »
    The rest of the world is most of the world, and short of money they have no interest in paying cash for downloads or western prices for much else.

All too true. I'm surprised we haven't seen more counterfeit manufacturing with all that is produced in those same environments.