Options

prioritize VoIP and Skype traffic in office access router

m4rtinm4rtin Member Posts: 170
I have a Cisco 1841(c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-25d.bin) router serving as a gateway in office. Fa0/0 is facing the ISP and Fa0/1 is facing the office LAN. In case somebody uploads something and at the same time there is a VoIP or Skype conversation, the quality of the voice traffic is poor. Probably there is a congestion on the LAN port. I would like to prioritize VoIP and Skype traffic. What would be the best strategy here? As I understand, options would be AutoQOS, DSCP/TOS or NBAR classification? Or should one start with NBAR protocol-discovery in order to define a QoS strategy? icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    for you auto qos, make sure users are getting a lot of SKYPE while your are running the baseline auto QOS.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    I am not sure auto qos will account for video traffic..

but.. look into CBWFQ.. its all about classifying the traffic you know about. create queues and assign a determined amount of BW to them. if those queues are not being utilized, the service will spread the bw across to other queues.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    m4rtin wrote: »
    I have a Cisco 1841(c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-25d.bin) router serving as a gateway in office. Fa0/0 is facing the ISP and Fa0/1 is facing the office LAN. In case somebody uploads something and at the same time there is a VoIP or Skype conversation, the quality of the voice traffic is poor. Probably there is a congestion on the LAN port. I would like to prioritize VoIP and Skype traffic. What would be the best strategy here? As I understand, options would be AutoQOS, DSCP/TOS or NBAR classification? Or should one start with NBAR protocol-discovery in order to define a QoS strategy? icon_rolleyes.gif

While auto QoS will probably get you going, you are still going to want to learn the ins and outs if you want a troubleshooting level of understanding. Might need some tweaks too and you are going to want to know what you are doing there.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.