Raid 0 woes

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
Had an old box at home that I used for data storage. It's been running fine for well over a year and suddenly this morning while online, win7 shutdown on its own. Upon reboot it hangs after post and before os loads with "AMD Data Change - Update New Data to DMI". I ran the raid utility and both drives are seen and the array is listed as healthy. Never had to work with a corrupt raid 0 array, any suggestions?

Comments

• KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    I do Support for Raid all day long at work so I might be able to give you a hand but I need more info though. Is this a Hardware Raid does it use a controller card if so what type of card? Is it a Software Raid if so your pretty much SOL.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Krunchi wrote: »
    I do Support for Raid all day long at work so I might be able to give you a hand but I need more info though. Is this a Hardware Raid does it use a controller card if so what type of card? Is it a Software Raid if so your pretty much SOL.

It's not a dedicated card but whatever hardware raid the mobo supports. I did not configure raid in the os.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    phoeneous wrote: »
    It's not a dedicated card but whatever hardware raid the mobo supports. I did not configure raid in the os.

Yeah, you're probably pretty screwed. Any "firmware" (built-in motherboard RAID) or software RAID is going to carry the drawback of being nearly impossible to recover if the system stops recognizing them. In fact, Windows software RAID is actually a better solution than pretty much any firmware RAID, because at least you can recover that in virtually any system. You motherboard's RAID is not a hardware solution (a dedicated single-purpose RAID chip), but a firmware solution (a logic chip built into the southbridge that provides RAID using the system's hardware for processing/parity and its own firmware)

RAID 0 also carries the drawback of total data loss if there is a problem with either drive, no matter the RAID provider. Remember when using RAID 0 that you are nearly doubling the chance of failure since either drive failing results in total system failure.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Windows software RAID is actually a better solution than pretty much any firmware RAID

I think you got this part mixed up a Windows software Raid is the worst choice due to the fact that if your running your Raid Array through Windows but you can't boot into your OS your pretty much SOL you have to fix the issue and reload the OS this is on a Raid 0 with any drive going down or a 1,5 With 2 or more drives going down. If you have a Raid Controller card like a Perc 5I <--Ebay $40.00 you can do so much more to fix it say something as simple as a foreign drive just clear the config and go with a software raid you would be screwed.

Phoeneous a few things that I have seen work is power down your system unplug your power cord and your cat 5's leave them unplug for about 5 minutes unplug your HD's from both end's leave them unplugged and reboot let it go to the point that it stops on the system halt shutdown hook the Hd's back up try to boot into the OS and good luck.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
    Actually I'm not screwed entirely. I popped in the win7 and did a system repair. From command prompt I was able to access all of my data and back it up to a drive. I'm actually going to back it up to 2 drives just to be safe. Then a few people have mentioned that deleting the array and then recreating it with the same name has worked. I'll try that. I dont mind doing an os reinstall, I just didnt want to lose the data. Will post back later.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Krunchi wrote: »
    I think you got this part mixed up a Windows software Raid is the worst choice due to the fact that if your running your Raid Array through Windows but you can't boot into your OS your pretty much SOL you have to fix the issue and reload the OS this is on a Raid 0 with any drive going down or a 1,5 With 2 or more drives going down.
    I didn't get this screwed up at all. A Windows software RAID is far superior to a firmware RAID, which is different than a hardware RAID, such as PERC 5i.

Regardless of whether it's hardware or software, you can't repair a RAID 0 with a broken drive or any RAID where you have insufficient drives to rebuild the array. With Windows or a hardware array, you can plug working drives back into any system and recover them with Windows. Hardware controllers primarily offer a performance advantage and the ability to recover a broken or foreign RAID more easily.

My point was that Windows software RAID is generally a superior solution to the RAID provided on consumer-grade motherboards. A true hardware RAID is always the best solution for performance, reliability, and recover-ability.

phoeneous wrote: »
    Actually I'm not screwed entirely. I popped in the win7 and did a system repair. From command prompt I was able to access all of my data and back it up to a drive. I'm actually going to back it up to 2 drives just to be safe. Then a few people have mentioned that deleting the array and then recreating it with the same name has worked. I'll try that. I dont mind doing an os reinstall, I just didnt want to lose the data. Will post back later.

Sorry, I misread the very first post. Since the system still sees the array, yes, you should be able to recover the system provided the file system isn't corrupted. Somewhere in there, I got the impression that the drive was completely broken.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I saw RAID0 and data storage in the same post........
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    SteveLord wrote: »
    yeah, NEVER a good idea...

I would only run RAID0 if I KNEW I never needed to recover any of the data on the drives.... and could deal with a complete failure with a single drive failure. For instance: when I setup my home NAS, I ran RAID0 on the disks to get more storage (and speed)... but I had a secondary NAS that I backed up to every night. Once ONE of those devices failed (secondary NAS), I moved the data off... and changed it to a RAID1.... no way would I ever trust a RAID0 with data and no backup. :D
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    lol exactly! RAID 0 should only be used to enhance performance. If you care about the data, you need to back it up frequently. The same can be said for important data on any medium, but it is particularly true for data on a RAID 0 array due to the high probability of array failure.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The question is how important is this data?

Raid0 = 0 stands Zero redundancy
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mount the drives using a Linux Live CD and backup the data that way could of been another option if Windows refused to boot.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
    I was able to access the data through my win7 cd and back it up. Wiped the drives, setup raid 1 and copied the data back. Like everything is back to normal.