Options

Career Change (Finance to IT)

j86cicij86cici Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm currently in the middle of a career transition. For the past 3 1/2 years I worked in finance/accounting dealing specifically with financial and management reporting for a community bank. I recently decided that I wanted to pursue a career in IT as I've always had a passion for technology. I left my job in October to focus on making the jump.

I picked up the Network+ certification in December and I will be sitting for the Security+ exam in the near future (within the next 3 weeks?). The one thing I did was skip past the A+ certification. I'm trying to decide if I should go back and pick that up after I pass the Security+ exam.

I am hoping to receive feedback from some of you regarding whether or not I should go back and get the A+ certification after I've already earned Net+ and Sec+.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I would say you need to focus on getting some applications out there, especially once you have both the Sec+ and Net+. Landing that first job will be difficult, but once you have it moving up is likely to be easier.

It might be a good idea to decide what you want to do: Work on Servers or Networking equipment or both?
    Then you'll have an idea of what certs you should study for: Microsoft or Cisco. Best of luck!
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would say start applying to jobs. Once you have a job, Net+, and Security+, A+ would be a waste of time. If you finish Security+ and still lack an IT job, you might as well round it out with A+, since it's cheap and easy. After that, start down the Cisco or MS roads, as Lucas said.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Database administration, business intelligence, and data warehousing. Use your financial experience!
  • Options
    j86cicij86cici Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I've been applying to entry level help desk and network administrator positions. Hopefully I'll catch a break sometime soon. I'd like to spend some time in either of those areas to build a good base and then see if I can move over to the security side within a couple of years.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i see your from philadelphia like myself. having an it/accounting background i can tell you, you can get a job no problem. I have an accounting background as well (my first job i was an accounting clerk for 2+ years) and i have been contacted many times for various it/accounting positions such as data assurance. However i hate accounting and always turn away those offers lol. But since your from philly a company that you may be interested in is PwC. I turned away a job offer they made me cause it involved some accounting work mixed in with some IT. But i would check it out if its something that interests you.

Goddluck!!