Will Email become extinct?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Will Email Become Extinct? - Certification Magazine

I'm not sure if this was posted or not, but I thought it was interesting.

Comments

• CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think it'd become extinct. Where I work, it's the primary source of communication where cell phones aren't appropriate. Email is so convenient too because you don't have to check it right then. And in the case of annoying people, you can pretend you never got it.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    I don't think it'd become extinct. Where I work, it's the primary source of communication where cell phones aren't appropriate. Email is so convenient too because you don't have to check it right then. And in the case of annoying people, you can pretend you never got it.

I'd agree :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • BainBain Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not a chance. However, the USPS will be going out of business within the next 20 years.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Bain wrote: »
    Not a chance. However, the USPS will be going out of business within the next 20 years.

Based on what?

I think they'll continue to see a reduction of letters, but not completely out-of-business. They still provide a good service and are used frequently to deliver packages to areas where those little brown trucks and those white ones with -Ex on the side won't deliver. However, I'd like to see your facts on the statement you've made about them being gone.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Based on what?

I think they'll continue to see a reduction of letters, but not completely out-of-business. They still provide a good service and are used frequently to deliver packages to areas where those little brown trucks and those white ones with -Ex on the side won't deliver. However, I'd like to see your facts on the statement you've made about them being gone.

The most likely reason will be extreme debt among other things. There's a good article on it here: Postal Service gallops toward default--Editorial - NYPOST.com
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    TeKniques wrote: »
    The most likely reason will be extreme debt among other things. There's a good article on it here: Postal Service gallops toward default--Editorial - NYPOST.com

Thanks, I'm familiar with some of the theories. However, I was calling Bain for making such a statement without providing some facts to go with it. He/She said it. He/She can back it up.

There is definitely a need for some restructuring, but to be completely out-of-business, is a bit extreme. I remember in the 70s when they were 'struggling' too, but they have done plenty since then to rejuvenate themselves including de-stressing the workplace a LOT (if you are old enough, you likely recall the reason for the phrase 'going postal' ;) ). They have automated so much and improved their efficiency a ton that it is completely amazing the amount of mail they can sort in mere minutes. Their equipment is designed to handle millions of pieces of mail, and with a decline of letters (pieces), it makes sense they are concerned about how many sort centers they truly need. I attended a three day seminar on postal dealings back in the 90s and it was pretty amazing all they accomplish in a very short period of time.

Nevertheless, I'd like to hear back from Bain regarding his/her statement.

And keeping it on topic, I don't think e-mail is dying. It is too heavily used with the businesses I support and most are unwilling to go over to IM and I don't see texting or such replacing an e-mail in the business environments I deal with...nor in my personal life.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Email extinct?! Desktops are going extinct, laptops too, but not email. No, it will be with us long after social updates and tweets go out of trend in favor of some other form of web based messaging. Remember how IRC went out of fashion?
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    my company uses email for everything... plus it's a way to document things.... say my boss tells me verbally to do something one day... 2 days later policy changes and I'm supposed to do something totally different... they will be like why are you doing this? I'd say, "my boss told me so" and if my boss was a snake, they could be like, "I never said that" but... if they had emailed me the direction, I'd have a fall back
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think we will see an evolution of our communication... but why would folks be looking to move to a channel with seemingly zero privacy? While email is certainly less private than many perceive, it is far better than social media and can be better controlled with encryption. Perhaps our email clients will be different? Maybe we will move to a social email client, something like Xobni being paired with Outlook, and Gmail will certainly tie into Google+.

Of course, maybe there are companies that will move away from email. There was a recent report of a company that outlawed email via policy and others that are prohibiting email outside of normal office hours based on new legislation that requires overtime pay for engaging in email correspondence after hours.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    N2IT wrote: »
    Will Email Become Extinct? - Certification Magazine

I'm not sure if this was posted or not, but I thought it was interesting.

If it does, I guess I'll have to become the Director of Emailtology at the Smithsonian. :P

As soon as I read the first sentence I thought "oh, moving on...". Does anyone really take RHT seriously anymore?

Instant Messaging is NOT an E-Mail replacement, nor was it ever meant to be one. Same can be said for every other technology they spout off here.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Everyone wrote: »
    If it does, I guess I'll have to become the Director of Emailtology at the Smithsonian. :P

As soon as I read the first sentence I thought "oh, moving on...". Does anyone really take RHT seriously anymore?

Instant Messaging is NOT an E-Mail replacement, nor was it ever meant to be one. Same can be said for every other technology they spout off here.

You make a great point about RHT lol
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Fax didn't become extinct, print media didn't become extinct, neither will email.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...