Vmware Workstation 8: routing two LAN segments

sting_224sting_224 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I configured two LAN segments and I'm having issues trying to get the two LAN segments to communicate. My plan is to install a parent domain on one segment and a child domain on the other segment. I googled and I've seen suggestions of using vyatta appliance to act as router between the two LAN segments. I'm wondering if there is any other way of getting the segments to talk to each other effectively. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    There has to be a route between the 2, and as far as I know, Workstation 8 can't do that by itself. There are a few different ways you can do it, the Vyatta you mentioned is one of them. You could also do it with something like pfSense, or you could use a Windows Server.

Basically you need a VM dedicated to routing so that the other VMs that you put on each segment can talk across segments.
  • sting_224sting_224 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    There has to be a route between the 2, and as far as I know, Workstation 8 can't do that by itself. There are a few different ways you can do it, the Vyatta you mentioned is one of them. You could also do it with something like pfSense, or you could use a Windows Server.

Basically you need a VM dedicated to routing so that the other VMs that you put on each segment can talk across segments.

Thanks for your reply, I'll check out pfSense right away.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Vyatta is the easiest way to go.
    RTmarc wrote: »
    Vyatta is the easiest way to go.

Thanks, I'm really new to using Vyatta and pfsense. I've download a couple of docs and videos on how to use Vyatta. I'd really appreciate it if you have any useful links to help me get started.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If it's a windows network dhcp relay takes minutes to configure.

I use checkpoint myself.
  • certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    GAngel wrote: »
    If it's a windows network dhcp relay takes minutes to configure.

I use checkpoint myself.

Why would a DHCP relay be necessary? OP is not getting DHCP assignment across (sub) networks but only needs routing between two networks to work so child domain and parent domain can communicate.
    I got both child and parent domain to communicate, thanks guys. I used Vyatta. I put eth0 and eht1 on different LAN segments, here's how i configured it, please let me know if I'm simulating it correctly:

eth0 -192.168.1.1 LAN segment 1
    eth1 -192.168.2.1 LAN segment 2

Parent domain: xyz.com LAN segment 1
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

Child domain: abc.xyz.com LAN segment 2
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2

*Created a delegation zone on parent domain and a conditional forwarder on child domain