Looking for guidance

cpnocpno Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I'm an accountant looking to transition into the IT field. From the research I've done, I've gathered that I should take the A+ exam first. My questions are as follows:
1. Is it necessary for me to get an IT related degree? (I already have an accounting degree)
2. Is there a certification/career path I can follow that might perhaps utilize my accounting/business knowledge?
Thanks everyone!

Comments

• AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you considered the IS audit career path ? There are many accountants getting CISA
    (Certified Information Systems Auditor) certfication.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • cpnocpno Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply. What exactly does a CISA do?
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • cpnocpno Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Awesome, thanks!
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. Is it necessary for me to get an IT related degree? (I already have an accounting degree)

Really depends where you want to work, how much exposure you've had with the I.T field and how much you currently know.
  • kamoimkamoim Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi Team

my name is Molefi and i am currently having the following certificates :
    IT college diploma NQF Level 4
    MCSA
    ITIL v3
    Comptia a+
    Network+
    MCP, so do i qualify to study for CISA certification?
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Another consideration for an accountant is focusing on ERP systems, since accountants are among the primary users of these systems. You likely have a good familiarity with them, already... now you would just need to pick up some analyst skills and maybe some certs related to a particular ERP system.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • fikalebfikaleb Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello mates,I am new to this forum and also to US.I just came to US before 3 months and I have BSc in Electrical Engineering with Four years of experience in Telecommunication (NGN Network Project).I also finished reading Tod Lammels Sybex CCNA book before a year and now i am watching CBT Nuggets to take the CCENT exam.what do you guys advise me in my next move? i couldn't get a job yet and so want to volunteer in a networking field so where can i apply for it?
    thanks in advance