Has anyone here taken the Red Hat self paced course or System Admin III

YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
I'm looking at taking some Red Hat courses around March and I would like to know how well they prepared you for the exams.

Comments

• MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Im headed to the System Admin 1 and 2 at the end of this month. Doing both courses back to back. Ill provide some feedback on here when I am done. I plan on keeping a daily log of everything.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That would be awesome. What kind of linux background/experience do you have?
    I dont really do any administrative tasks with it. Mostly for engineering. My company makes an enterprise sold state solution, so I routinely use different flavors to compile our drivers on. I can get around fairly easily with it and know most of the common commands. My company wants us all to get certified in RHCSA and ultimately RHCSE.
    Oh cool. I've been seeing a lot of linux device driver jobs on job boards, what does this job entail? What knowledge do you need to make device drivers? They are usually paying well over 100k.
    Im not a professional developer or anything like that. I do the occassional script, but nothing to extreme. I work in support for my company. Im a senior support engineer. Compiling our drivers on various OS's is just one aspect of the job.

Back on topic, I plan on writing a post on my experiences in the classes for admin 1 and admin 2.
    Great because I want to take I-III.
    I just went and looked up admin III and it looks like its for senior linux admins who have the knowledge to become RHCSA's and want to become RHCSE's.

https://www.redhat.com/courses/rh254_red_hat_system_administration_3/
    Yeah the plan I have is as follows: Take admin I & II (those are the two classes for RHCSA)..then I will take admin III (which is the class that covers RHCE, correct?)...then after all three classes, I'll take the RHCSA and RHCE. RH255 actually comes with admin III and both those test.
    Good luck with that! Should be a tough but good course.
    Thanks, it will be hard work but hopefully this will land me a full time linux admin position. But I'm really looking forward to your reviews, there's barely any information on these courses besides whats on their website.
  • robdogrobdog Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey can I join in on the fun???? I work in a Linux shop now & want to move from being a Data Center Tech to a Linux Sys Admin. Ok any admin gig will do, but for me that is the goal. To be a Sys Admin. Just earned my MCSA, so I wanted to reinforce the knowledge base I already have from working in this Linux shop for the past two years.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    If you are looking for a training, how about the official Red Hat training? I think it's a great preparation for the exam..
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Seems that the real question here is if you actually need those classes with certain amount of experience. It might be that this party books may suffice if you had decent amount of exposure to RH linux. If your employer is willing to pay for the courses, it is even better.
    That definitely is a good question for someone who may have some Linux admin experience. Personally for me..I don't have admin experience but I'm currently in a Linux technical position...so I think the classes will definitely be the route I take. I was just hoping to get some feedback from members who have attended the class and see how well they prepare you for the exams.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    If the instructor is good, then a training will definitely be a good investment; it will save you a lot of time. Make sure that your trainer has enough experience to share with you, and make sure the instructor isn't there to help you pass exams, but to share administration experience with you.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

I called Red Hat last week about the courses and the instructors but their answers are so vague. I'm really hoping MrAgent has a good experience and review for admin 1 and 2.
    I called Red Hat last week about the courses and the instructors but their answers are so vague. I'm really hoping MrAgent has a good experience and review for admin 1 and 2.

I start my first day of class tomorrow. I plan on taking notes (and my laptop if I am allowed) and posting my thoughts here. Ill try and break it down day by day. Im hoping that this review will also help the material stick for me as well as prepare others.
    that sounds awesome, I look forward to reading it. I'm taking I-III in March and April.
  • techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm just about done with Linux+, and these courses were my next plan, until today when I looked at the prices from Red Hat. Ouch. I did not realize the prices were this steep.
  • effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    MrAgent - How has the training been? I doubt my employer is willing to pay for the courses but I may definitely suggest them.

Edit: Should have finished looking through some threads in this section, found and reading the separate threads for the training