is iphone siri secretly tracking?

cleveohcleveoh Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Interesting thing happened to my wife and I yesterday, we were driving around the Cleveland area looking for a particular restaurant; Carrie Cerino's. We were having trouble finding it so my wife used her iPhones siri app to find directions, the app was having trouble understating what she was saying so after the third time of not understanding what she said, in the background I jokingly said” Carrie Cerinos you dumb son of a *****. Here is the interesting part, siri said “watch the language Joe Smith” (not my real name). So siri recognized my voice, and I’m thinking the only way siri would recognize my voice is that it is tracking voices by associating calls from my wife’s iPhone phone book to calls made to those people. Or I’m just getting paranoid?

Comments

• SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Siri calls you whatever you entered into the Info area of the Siri options.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • cleveohcleveoh Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Siri calls you whatever you entered into the Info area of the Siri options.

Ok, but it's my wifes iphone that I have never used, my phone is an eight year old t-mobile. How would it recognize my voice in the background and respond with my name, actually it responded to a nickname my wife has programmed into her phonebook for me that is associated with my cell number?
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cleveoh wrote: »
    Ok, but it's my wifes iphone that I have never used, my phone is an eight year old t-mobile. How would it recognize my voice in the background and respond with my name, actually it responded to a nickname my wife has programmed into her phonebook for me that is associate with my cell number?

Whoa. That's scary. I have the 4S too. I can't come up with a plausible explanation for your situation, and I'm inclined to agree with you. icon_rolleyes.gif Good thing I don't use Siri often since it never gets it right.
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Siri is just code for skynet...and it's becoming self-aware icon_smile.gif
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If Siri really recognized you by your voice, I'm too impressed to be weirded out.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just wait until Siri gets malware... we are all doomed!
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Interesting thing happened to my wife and I yesterday, we were driving around the Cleveland area looking for a particular restaurant; Carrie Cerino's. We were having trouble finding it so my wife used her iPhones siri app to find directions, the app was having trouble understating what she was saying so after the third time of not understanding what she said, in the background I jokingly said” Carrie Cerinos you dumb son of a *****. Here is the interesting part, siri said “watch the language Joe Smith” (not my real name). So siri recognized my voice, and I’m thinking the only way siri would recognize my voice is that it is tracking voices by associating calls from my wife’s iPhone phone book to calls made to those people. Or I’m just getting paranoid?

Wouldn't surprise me. iPhoto's been doing facial recognition for a few years now, it's not that far of a stretch to imagine them doing voice recognition for others.

The only thing I'd be concerned with is whether or not it's being stored on my local phone, our out in the iCloud. If it's on the phone itself, I don't really have much in the way of an issue of it. If it's stored out in the iCloud.... well, that's a little scarier.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    im soo shocked icon_lol.gif
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I remember some movie from the 80's or so where a guy creates an AI that falls in love with him and tries to kill his girlfriend when she came over lol. I just remember bits and parts of it though, it was doing stuff like trying to electrocute her or something.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Ok, but it's my wifes iphone that I have never used, my phone is an eight year old t-mobile. How would it recognize my voice in the background and respond with my name, actually it responded to a nickname my wife has programmed into her phonebook for me that is associated with my cell number?

What is listed under My Info for Siri's settings?
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

What is listed under My Info for Siri's settings?

She is out of town for work this week so I will check when she gets back home.
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I remember some movie from the 80's or so where a guy creates an AI that falls in love with him and tries to kill his girlfriend when she came over lol. I just remember bits and parts of it though, it was doing stuff like trying to electrocute her or something.

Actually after the initial incident I made a suggestive remark to Siri and the response was "ooooohhhh".
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    tpatt100 wrote: »

He should have went to Jared.....
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???