Options

2950C Switch - Uplink 100BASE-FX ports

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Hi All,

Looking for some advice on one of my switches. I'm looking to setup a fibre connection from the uplink ports but not sure if the 2950c ports only take a specific type of fibre? I'm guessing I need to find this out so I can but the correct NM module for my router (which will be at the other end of the fibre link).

Basically I want to connect the switch to a router via fibre - or are the uplink ports for linking switches together only?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    You will need a SFP to connect them. GLC-FE-100FX - Cisco GLC-FE-100FX 100BASE-FX SFP Transceiver (Cisco Compatible) - Cisco

What are you using for a router?

Fiber HWICs are rather expensive.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.

So the uplink ports, need a transceiver before they can actually be used?

I have a 3640 and was thinking about getting a comaptible fibre card for it, just to get some working lab experience of fibre and the cables/connectors etc..
  • Options
    On a switch yes, they need a transceiver.

It looks like your router supports the NM-1FE-FX, so $100ish should get you set on the router side. You will also need a LC-SC fiber patch cable. This will run at 100M.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot Monkerz.

So is the transceiver you mentioned above the only compatible one for the switch I have, or are there different kinds? I don't want to end up buying the wrong item.
    Am I right in thinking that the LC connector side will go to the switch and the SC to the Router?
  • Options
    The one above is a 100meg transceiver, what I could find on your switch says it will support 100meg max on its fiber ports. I usually purchased the 1000base-FX transceivers, but i do not know if your switch would even recognize it. I would definitely shop around to get the best price, make sure to check ebay.

You are correct with the cabling. When I first started out in networking I used the following to remember the three common types of fiber connections:

ST (Stick_and_Twist)

SC (Stick_and_Click)

LC (Little_Click)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info, appreciated.

One more query and I'm done...icon_smile.gif

Each fibre connection, be it at the switch end or router end, will always have a tx and rx? In essence 2 connectors at each end?
  • Options
    I'm not sure when it comes to provider networks, but everything that I have ever touched is full-duplex and requires one strand for rx and one for tx.

Maybe someone else can chime in here.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014