How would you list (Active participant on Techexams.net on your resume)?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I was just doing some thinking about listing groups, memberships etc on your resume or even application. I am a member of PMI and I was thinking of listing Techexams as well. Thoughts? I feel like I provide good advice to people and recieve as well. How could one leverage listing this website down on your resume?

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    N2IT wrote:
    How could one leverage listing this website down on your resume?
    Keeping a resume short and concise is very important, so I think something more general such as "participating in online tech-communities" might be appropriate but even then more as an example of how you stay up to date and are eager to learn etc. Most people reading the resumes won't recognize TechExams.net so I think actually naming the site adds little to nothing in their eyes in which case it uses up space that could be better used for something more convincing, or just white space for the sake of keeping it short and concise. I admit, I'm somewhat flattered by the thought, but I advice against putting anything on your resume that has little to no value or clear meaning to the beholder.
  • effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    Webmaster wrote: »
    Keeping a resume short and concise is very important, so I think something more general such as "participating in online tech-communities" might be appropriate but even then more as an example of how you stay up to date and are eager to learn etc. Most people reading the resumes won't recognize TechExams.net so I think actually naming the site adds little to nothing in their eyes in which case it uses up space that could be better used for something more convincing, or just white space for the sake of keeping it short and concise. I admit, I'm somewhat flattered by the thought, but I advice against putting anything on your resume that has little to no value or clear meaning to the beholder.

I agree with this. If they ask you can provide the examples but if not don't waste the space.
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    N2IT wrote: »
    I was just doing some thinking about listing groups, memberships etc on your resume or even application. I am a member of PMI and I was thinking of listing Techexams as well. Thoughts? I feel like I provide good advice to people and recieve as well. How could one leverage listing this website down on your resume?

No. Anything you say on here could be scrutinized and result in who knows what. If I saw that you had Techexams forum participant on your resume, I would probably raise an eyebrow and think it was weird but pretty much anything you put on your application can be looked at with a fine tooth comb if someone takes the time to do so.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »

I list my certifications and groups I belong to under a section called Professional Development. Currently, the only group that I belong to currently is ISSSA; however, I never get any questions in interviews about my membership.

I think it’s best practice not to list everything on your resume, because you what to have stuff to talk about in the interview. Additionally, a resume is just to suppose to be a snapshot of your work history, experience, and education. For example, a hiring manger could ask “what do you do to state up to date in your field?” You could say “I participate and belong to group x,y, and z. Also, I participate on a certification forum. I only mention this, because it’s happened to me before in interviews.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like a big fat no. Thanks for your input!
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TE is a great site and community, but it's not resume-worthy. Most tech sites aren't.

Now if you were an active particpant on Technet with over 9,000 points or some noteworthy accomplishment and applying for an MS-heavy job, that might be resume-worthy. Most tech sites are not, at least not for someone with real experience. Webmaster's point about keeping a resume concise is really all that needs to be said.

Now that said, when I first started my career, I actually had forum participation listed on my experience. However, I was a forum administrator and wrote a couple of articles for the web site in question. I was unpaid, but it was enough experience to be resume-worthy, especially for someone who had no previous real experience. Had I simply been an active forum participant, I would not have attempted to list it as experience. I took it off my resume after leaving my 2nd job.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • korbaskorbas Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It would be resume-worthy if you run the forum. icon_wink.gif