the amish experiment

demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
could you live with out being plugged in?
i think i may do this, im online to much as it is if its not here its facebook or random places online

Jake Reilly's 'Amish Project:' 90 Days Without a Cell Phone, Email and Social Media - Yahoo! News

and yes i know the irony of posting it here
wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

Comments

• AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I need email and cell phone to make contact with people as I don't have a land line phone and I won't ever use the work phone for personal reasons. I can live without Facebook though. I went 3 months without it and came back to chat with people.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I certainly could. Would I want to... Heck no. I enjoy being plugged in and I know when to take a break. Not that long ago I wnet 30 days w/ out accessing TE because I needed to get some projects done.
  • korbaskorbas Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like fun to me...great way to get in shape, nutritious food, regular hours and it'll make the kids shut up. icon_biggrin.gif
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I could, I would be miserable but I could. Probably would have to go back to playing board games lol...
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    It would be tough for me, especially given how plugged in I've gotten over the last year or so. I'm sure unplugging would be of value for a lot of folks-- taking a breather from the tech, so to speak.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Only thing I didn't like was that the Yahoo headline was "Man survives without technology for x days". Ok, guess what? Plenty of people have no technology what so ever and have "survived". As you can see from the article, it is almost impossible to fully unplug once you are in. But like you guys have said, you gotta know when to pull back. One day I left my phone in my room (in the basement) and went about my business. Nice to not check it everyone few minutes for whatever notification that comes in.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    im gonna give it a go, i sent a request to facebook for an archive of all my stuffs (it comes in a zip file) and then im gonna turn it off
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers: