Passed Security+

ChrisRiceChrisRice Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just sat, and passed, the exam with a score of 813!

I used Emmett Dulaney's Study Guide as my only resource but I had read Darril's SY0-201 Study Guide before Christmas.

The exam was quite difficult, I marked more questions than in previous CompTIA exams. Though I have to say Peter and Sara definitely need to re-evaluate their skills. :P

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • dehgrahdehgrah Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass, I take my exam tomorrow at 12:00PM EST. This will be my last CompTia certification, I will then move on to Server 2008 Certs. What will be your next cert?
  • techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    Congrats on the pass! icon_thumright.gif
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the pass. Good to hear the older book (SY0-201) helped you with the newer exam (SY0-301). Good luck on your next adventure.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! What next? MCITP track?
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Joseph HarlessJoseph Harless Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations.
  • szhemmatpourszhemmatpour Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Heeey chrisgrats on the pass.send me resources plz.
  • burnsd1burnsd1 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know where i can get DG's book in the Hampton Roads, Va area. Tried books stores in the area and it's not on-hand. Thanks...
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Download Kindle app for your computer, then download book from amazon for 9.99. You'll have it in minutes.
    burnsd1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where i can get DG's book in the Hampton Roads, Va area. Tried books stores in the area and it's not on-hand. Thanks...

Welcome to the forums.

You can also get it in paperback form from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, a signed copy from the author (also living in the Hampton Roads, VA area). As a self-published book, it's challenging to get a book into bricks and mortar bookstores.
  • kprakpra Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Congrats on passing your exam.
    Im planning to take one in next couple of weeks.
    Can u pls guide me on how to clear the exam :)
    Im following comptia security + by emmett dulaney syn 301.
    any more suggestions????
    Did u take any online practice exams???if so,did they help u for the exam?
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darril I have question regarding your Security+ guides (SY0-201) and (SY0-301). Are there differences and how big are they. Is there any overlapping in terms of subjects?

Thank you
    working on CCNA
    sys_teck wrote: »
    Darril I have question regarding your Security+ guides (SY0-201) and (SY0-301). Are there differences and how big are they. Is there any overlapping in terms of subjects?

Thank you

The SY0-201 Study Guide (602 pages) covers the SY0-201 objectives.

The SY0-301 Study Guide (580 pages) covers the SY0-301 objectives.

There are differences in the study guides because there are differences in the exams. Similarly, there is overlapping in the subjects because the objectives overlap. This blog article outlines some of the differences in the objectives: http://blogs.getcertifiedgetahead.com/security-sy0-201-sy0-301-differences/

How big are they? The SY0-201 Study Guide is 602 pages and the SY0-301 Study Guide is 580 pages but they use different fonts so that's misleading. The 301 book has more words at about 188,000 while the 201 has about 144,000 words. A recent reviewer on Amazon (Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide) said he received the 301 Study Guide on Thursday night, read it over the weekend, and passed the exam on Monday morning with a score of 880. What I find most impressive about this is that someone can read a 580 page technical book over a weekend.

HTH,
    Hi,

Can anyone letme know the clear difference between impersonation and spoofing?
    kpra wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone letme know the clear difference between impersonation and spoofing?

There are some similarities, but the biggest difference is that spoofing often refers to assuming the identity of another thing (or possibly another person) while impersonation refers to assuming the identity of another person. Notice the word person in impersonation.

Attackers often use spoofing techniques to hide their identities by pretending to be someone or something else. For example, they can spoof an IP address which changes the source IP address to something else. When the packet is received, it looks like it came from the spoofed IP address instead of from the attacker. Similarly, spammers often spoof the From address of an email so that it looks like it comes from someone else. Vishing attack often spoof the calling phone number to trick the Caller ID function.

Impersonation occurs when attackers assume the identity of another person. For example, in social engineering, an attacker can impersonate a telephone repairman to gain access to the wiring closet. Similarly, an attacker can impersonate another user by logging on with that user's username and password.

There is crossover. For example, you can say that a spammer is impersonating someone with a spoofed email address.

HTH
    Thanks Darril.
    Actually i had a question in Security+ exam with above options since they seems to be similar i wanted to get a clear difference between the two :)